Wireless communication underwater

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
suniljha

Wireless communication underwater

Post by suniljha »

Hi!
I want to know that whether BiM2 RF Transceiver modules will work under water wireless communications or not? If yes than what would be there range as compared to air communication. If not then what would be the best alternative to control under water equipment from the surface?<p>Waiting for expert opinions..
Thanks,
Sunil
russlk

Re: Wireless communication underwater

Post by russlk »

I don't know anything about BIM2, but underwater communication is usually done at low frequency. The US Navy communicates with submarines at 10kHz.
Externet

Post by Externet »

Hi.
Not expert, but experienced.
I worked in 1971-72 with the inventor of the scuba wireless intercom.
RF will not provide any useable range underwater. The attenuation in water is brutal. It is properly done with modulated ultrasonics, as any echosounder or sonar. A very selective audio filter is needed to prevent the breathing and bubbles noise to activate the vox. A special full face mask is needed. The vox is activated by a throat contact microphone in the units I know, being that, the key of the patent.
PTT systems may not use the filtering. Proper conectors must be very waterproof.
Controlling underwater devices wirelessly with data should also be done with ultrasonic carrier and transducers, and may not need filtering nor vox.
Miguel
-Scuba diver before my belly grew- :)
- Abolish the deciBel ! -
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Elf, is much lower than 10khz, the frequency that subs talk to the out side world. <p>Most underwater communicatiuons use ultra sonics, or pretty much any frequency of sound to communicate. <p>Ordinary radio waves just dont work past a few feet.
jwax

Post by jwax »

Your 10 mw, 433 MHz system is pretty much useless in water. Research ultrasound, or better yet, very low frequency communication.
What is it you're trying to do?
John
WA2RBA