feed a/v signal into a cable line

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Newz2000

feed a/v signal into a cable line

Post by Newz2000 »

A friend of mine has a box that allows him to feed an a/v signal (in this case, from the tv out and audio out ports on his computer) into a coax cable onto channel 90. He has a filter on his incoming cable TV wire that blocks channels above 87 and then feeds his new channel 90 in after this filter. This allows him to watch his computer on channel 90.

He bought a box from Radio Shack that feeds the a/v signal into the cable line but he says they're getting difficult to find and didn't really know what to search for on Google to find comparable devices.

Does anyone know what I can search for to find a device like this?
Mike

Re: feed a/v signal into a cable line

Post by Mike »

Are you looking for an RF modulator? Many places sell them. I'm almost completely sure RadioShack sells them still.

Just search for RF Modulator, you should find something.
philba

Post by philba »

I use channel plus modulators and they work great though you have to work to get reasonable prices on them. Here's the smart home modulator page http://www.smarthome.com/prodindex.asp?catid=299
a very very wide range of prices. You have to be carefull not to get one that only modulates onto channel 3 or 4.

I bought a channel plus 5415 off of ebay many moons ago and a quick search there shows a number of them available though the prices aren't super great.

<small>[ December 13, 2005, 08:53 PM: Message edited by: philba ]</small>
jollyrgr

Post by jollyrgr »

I know the Radio Shack device you wrote about but I don't believe they carry it anymore. But Parts Express has one. Go here:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl ... er=180-317

This can be set to any UHF channel or any of the "Cable TV" channels. For a few dollars more you can get a three channel version here:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl ... er=180-318

You also mentioned a filter that will block below channel 87. This blocks signals from cable modems and other digital services and allows a local modulator to be installed as you are attempting. They are LOW PASS FILTERS (band pass filters?) or sometimes called LINE ATTENUATORS. You can find them here:
http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm ... age_ID=213

You most likely will want the LPF-600 as this is the one for blocking channels below 87.

I hope this helps.
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. But billions of electrons, photons, and electromagnetic waves were terribly inconvenienced!
Newz2000

Post by Newz2000 »

Thanks guys, that was exactly what I was looking for!
Edd

Post by Edd »

Since you had mentioned a R.S. sourcing, and with their HQ being right in my backyard, plus my internal contacts… I gleaned the following info that was archived just after its intro back at the ~2000 date.

http://www.radioshack.com/graphics/uc/r ... _PM_EN.pdf

Currently non available, lest you run into a NOS unit, perchance in Podunk Holler, Montana?

Definitely a frequency agile modulator, with most of the developmental cost being in the complex, freq stable synthesizing portion of the unit. All of the UHF channels as well as just about all of the complete cable spectrum!

As far as passing of dedicated computer tuner derived TV info thru the closed circuit distribution system, I can’t see that technique being practical due to the video refresh speed (on fast moving scenes) as well as the definition capabilities on a screen that is much larger than common ‘puter monitors.

I also lucked out in the acquisition of a used (2 yrs) C-band commercial Channel Master Satellite receiver, Sony VCR, and a rack panel mounted Channel Plus all for $100 from a defunct National Drug store chains office equipping.
Looks like from the supplied references, that even the cheapest bare bones 1200 series Channel Plus would cost more than the alternate Dayton series.
The channel display on the modulator housing is usually not even that important, as one usually sets to freq one time and it is even held for moderate power outage time by internal memory.

73's de Edd
[email protected] .........(Interstellar~~~~Warp~~~Speed)
[email protected].........(Firewalled*Spam*Cookies*Crumbs)
:D