RF/IR remote questions...

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
youknowwho31

RF/IR remote questions...

Post by youknowwho31 »

Greetings, all. I have a modest PVR/HTPC setup. It goes as follows:<p>-Windows XP PRO OS computer
-Kworld MCE 200 PRO PCI video capture/editting card with a TV Tuner
-Gainward GeForce 6800 8X AGP VGA Adapter
-SnapStreamMedia's Beyond TV 3.5 software
-Scientific Atlanta Explorer 3100 digital cable box receiver (has an IR mini-plug input in the back of the box)<p>The challenge lies in consolidating all these goodies with one remote contol and one remote receiver. According to Snapstream, if I wanted to be able to control the TV software (Beyond TV 3.5) and change channels as well as sync the two for TiVo like recording/time-shifting functionality, I need to get their FireFly RF remote to connect to the PC AND get an IR blaster like USB-UIRT to work with the cable box. Seems messy to me...takes up an additional valueable USB slot, have to buy the second IR blaster device and line it up with the cable box IR sensor, the cost of the USB hub if I do go this route, and there will be excess wires.<p>After digging around and gathering info from forums, I found I need a learning RF remote with learning IR capabilites operating at an RF frequency of 433.92MHz. The RF/IR receiver/emitter for the remote needs to connect to the PC most likely via USB AND have an IR mini-plug (3.5mm stereo aka eigth of an inch plug) connector so I can use a male-to-male mini-plug patch cable to avoid lining up the receiver with the cable box's IR sensor.<p>I looked at many remotes and could not find one that matched these specifications. Some didn't even have detailed specs. This raises several questions:<p>Anyone know of the existance of such a device and where I can find it?<p>If it doesn't exist, are there any basic (I'm handy with a soldering iron but thats about it) remote and receiver kits that I could homebrew to produce what I need?<p>If I'm biting off more than I can chew trying to modify an IR/RF remote receiver/emitter, are there any places people know of which I could describe what I need and they'll be able to fabricate it?...not if it's hundreds-of-thousands of dollars, of course.<p>It just seems to me what I'm looking for isn't a complex and intricate solution but then again I maybe horribly wrong. Thanks to all who've read this and thanks for the input regarding this conflict!