simulate a windshield wiper motor

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
chapter30

Re: simulate a windshield wiper motor

Post by chapter30 »

If the kit that Philba sugested won't work for you, and you still want to check out the servo take a look at the Tower Hobbies website. I'll bet they have a servo that will fit your need. <p>You will need control electronics for this though. There are many types of servo controllers available but I'm not sure how easy they are to operate without a bit of electronics knowledge.<p>Check out this site if you are interested.<p>http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=28023
chapter30

Post by chapter30 »

This one might be better. Take a look.<p>http://www.phidgetsusa.com/servo_controllers.asp<p>I realized the product in the last link I posted required a basic stamp.
Brentusbrutus

Post by Brentusbrutus »

I like the idea of controling my motor..
Picture a Motor attatched to a spool of thread..
I would like my little motor to do the following<p>-Variable Rotations
-Variable Speeds
-Variable Pause<p>So the Variable Rotation I would like to have from 1/25 turn to let's say 5 complete turns forward and backward..<p>I would love to set a Pause Time from one 1 second to 5 minutes.<p>I also like the idea of purchasing a little kit for beginners so I could get my feet wet.
philba

Post by philba »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Chris Smith:
Actually he said "I'm trying to find out what kind of motor I could buy that would simulate a windshield wiper motor." with no mention of its actual function.<p>If all he wants is a sweep then That’s how he should accomplish it. I try not to read minds.<hr></blockquote><p>Yes, he did say that but in his next post he said the part I quoted. No, you don't read minds and, apparently, you dont read all the posts either. I wouldn't be saying all this if your attitude wasn't so high and mighty.
Brentusbrutus

Post by Brentusbrutus »

Jeff!!!
That Last link. I found exactly what I was kinda looking for..
The Servo with the Arm going up and down (red Background...)<p>Cool..
Now..How hard would it be to control that that thing with let's say..
Variable speed, Variable pause Lenght, and Variable HeighAdjustments..
philba

Post by philba »

The servo solution could be made to work. Note that, out of the box, servos don't rotate all the way around. You can modify them to do so, though. I'm not sure if the servo controller will do what you want - its possible.<p>The timer I suggested will only work for a variable number of rotations. If you get the bidirectional motor kit from the same outfit and mated it to the timer (with a little hacking), you could get variable speed and number of rotations. The pause is going to be harder with out designing something.
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

When I get that far down the page, Ill respond there too?
Brentusbrutus

Post by Brentusbrutus »

what do you mean chris?
Brentusbrutus

Post by Brentusbrutus »

Hee heee..
If chris and phliba got into a fist fight who would win?
Brentusbrutus

Post by Brentusbrutus »

Sooo..
I just realised, if I bought a servo kit.. such as this http://www.phidgetsusa.com/viewproduct.asp?SKU=2000<p>1. does it always need to be connected to a computer for it to receive its commands?<p>2.how would i power it with Batteries?<p>3. Is there a place in Canada to buy the servo kit?
Bernius1

Post by Bernius1 »

I don't like the fighting because the goal is to find a WORKING solution, and many arguments are about methodology. Talk, after all, is cheap. I've done things mechanically the 'old-timer' way with great success, only to have a late-model 'tech from a local Goodyear tire shop' say it CAN'T work. (???) Results speak loudest, and I'm sure that both Chris AND Phil have working proofs.
But for me, it reinforces the idiom, "make sure that you're sure". Many paths to the goal, and we're all looking for the best way.
Personally, to Chris & Phil, I'd say, each start a thread describing one or two exceptional solutions you've found/devised, and post it. And DON'T post comments on each others' successes. Let the readers learn.
Can't we end all posts with a comical quip?
philba

Post by philba »

I dont like fighting either but do get rather annoyed when some one denigrates something I've said. If there's an error, I'm happy hear of it but too often its some one's opinion that what one has done is not worthy of consideration.<p>I'll shut up now.
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Brentusbrutus .....<p>.....what do you mean Chris? <p>I read one post at a time, then I answered.<p> When I have time to read them all, I try to up date them. <p>
Others, philba for example [no offense] assumes I have read them all first, and then I answered wrong? <p>Who would win, [If Chris and phliba got into a fist fight who would win? ]<p> ME.<p> The old farts think it all out and then act, youth jumps in, get it half right and crashes! <p>Been there, done that. <p>No offence to the young! <p>Old Joke, Two Rams standing over the herd, one is young, the other is old, ....the young one says lets go down there have a quick one,... the old one says, lets take our time, and do them all.
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

no_vice ...<p>Argument is not fighting. It the best thing that ever happened to the simian that dared to crawl down from the tree. I for one don’t want opposing views to ever stop, heated or otherwise.<p> The more heated and civilized they are, the more the audience will listen.