Can anyone help?

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
jollyrgr

Re: Can anyone help?

Post by jollyrgr »

Do you want mechanical noise you can hear or do you want electrical noise?<p>There was a thread about simple transmitters using crystal oscillators. They normally run on five volts and produce a square wave. These make excellent simple transmitters. I believe it was Chris that drove one at 12 volts (or so) and made it into a very nice electrical noise generator.<p>How about these two words "Spark Gap". A spark gap transmitter is something so rich in harmonics you could wipe out every AM, FM, and TV signal for blocks. This will most likely garner you a visit from Uncle Charley (The FCC) and will get you some heavy fines.<p>If you want mechanical noise, how about an audio amplifier and a oscillator? Do realize that you can take an amplifier, feed it back on itself and get an oscillator. Get a couple hundred watt amp and feedback and make lots of noise. Of course you might get a visit from "Officer Friendly" for disturbing the piece. These tickets won't be as expensive unless you get hauled down to the Grey Bar motel.
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. But billions of electrons, photons, and electromagnetic waves were terribly inconvenienced!
Bernius1

Post by Bernius1 »

TERRI, GRRRR ! ( no offense taken )
In building loudspeakers, there's a LxWxH 'golden ratio', and I think even in circuits; If T=RC, and the popular usage is 10K and .01uf, who'll use 100uf and 1-ohm ?
I was hoping that there was some insane Fourier transform that worked with probability amplitude which would predict the spectrum instantaneously.
As far as Fibonacci, there's a book about Paul Oerdiscz <('Er-dish' phonetically, but I misspelled it), who was a prolific mathemetician and dealt with Fibonacci's and Reimann's works.
Personally, I put Euler at the top of the list.
Can't we end all posts with a comical quip?
terri

Post by terri »

Eh! The "golden ratio for noise," 2.0898 dB, was a lousy joke anyhow. This topic was supposed to be a joke, too, but now I'm embarrassed about it. I think I'll skulk off to my cave and eat worms.<p>Until 01 Apr 05.<p>[ March 16, 2005: Message edited by: terri ]</p>
terri wd0edw
philba

Post by philba »

I appreciated the joke - I almost posted "I want to make light with electricity". Its pretty amazing how some people post a request with no useful information.<p>Phil
jollyrgr

Post by jollyrgr »

I think the post was straight forward enough. It made a little less sense than the tax code but I gave similar answers to those I put on my 1040.
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. But billions of electrons, photons, and electromagnetic waves were terribly inconvenienced!
terri

Post by terri »

Thanks, Philba.<p>How about we all file Form H410 in Hexadecimal, Jolly Roger? <p>No, wait a minute. If we use Octal, it'll make our refunds look bigger. Does the tax code specify that we use decimal numbers anywhere, I wonder?<p>"Wunna dese days yer sensa yuma is gonna getcha in big trubbel," my father used to tell me.<p>[ March 16, 2005: Message edited by: terri ]</p>
terri wd0edw
jimandy

Post by jimandy »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr> (terri)This topic was supposed to be a joke, too, but now I'm embarrassed about it. <hr></blockquote><p>And I was the first to reply.<p>I feel so violated!
:)
"if it's not another it's one thing."
terri

Post by terri »

Don't feel bad. At least you asked "What's your application?" right away, right up front, instead of ten posts later, like on most of those topics.<p>I'm still gonna eat worms. My embarrassment is bigger than your embarrassment.
terri wd0edw
Bernius1

Post by Bernius1 »

So the lesson is; 'gullible' IS in the dictionary, but not in any elec-tech manuals ?
As far as a numerically generated noise profile, I still think a 10-sec sample of repeatable noise is a decent idea for routing out intermittent problems. Or a program that took the same sample, and with each repetition made a slight binary change, to find what harmonic or slew rate error is plauging you. <p>On the lighter side, maybe I'll use VBasic.exe, and load 'Terri.dll' !! LOL
Can't we end all posts with a comical quip?
rshayes

Post by rshayes »

What you are looking for is probably a Pseudo Random Sequence generator.<p>This is basically a shift register where the output is combined with the signals from a few intermediate stages and fed back to the input. With the proper choice of taps on the shift register, you can generate sequences that appear to be random, but eventually do repeat. These are used as replacements for random noise sources since initializing the shift register with the same bits will give you the same sequences.<p>The sequences can be quite long with relatively short shift registers.<p>Try a google search for "pseudo random sequence".