Price rebates

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
JOHN GAGARIAN

Price rebates

Post by JOHN GAGARIAN »

Greetings:My personal experience with price rebates is very poor. During the last year I was able to obtain a rebate on perhaps 20 percent of the time. resulting in losses of close to a thousand dollars
Any ideas or suggestions on this matter?
John Gagarian
Chris Smith

Re: Price rebates

Post by Chris Smith »

Boycott those who screwed you.

Tiger direct is a typical example of crooks.
Dell is working on that title.
philba

Post by philba »

This may not be welcome advice but I always assume that the rebate won't happen. I buy the product based on the pre-rebate price. If the rebate happens, great! If it doesn't then I still got what I bargained for.
Mike

Post by Mike »

John,

I've got a LOT of experience with poor rebate service, and in at least 90% of the time I am able to get my money.

The first step to do is to call the 800 or 888, or, if the only number is a toll, you may have to call it. In most cases, such as with OfficeMax, they will not send the rebate, but instead a postcard saying your submission was incorrect. They do this on purpose, and all I have to do is call the 800 number and say the postcard said my submission was invalid, and within 2 minutes, the guy over in india tells me that the check will be in the mail soon.

If the company refuses to do anything about it, demand to speak to the manager at the call center.

If still no luck, go directly to the store, or call, and speak with the manager. some stores such as micro center have a dedicated rebate person. FYI, they are the best when it comes to honoring rebates. I bought a SOYO computer case (never buy from that company, the manufacturer never honors a single rebate), and I called Micro Center, talked withn that rebate person, she checked into my situation, called me back a few days later and said the check was in the mail. I ended up getting $20 for the rebate from Micro Center, plus a $25 gift card apologizing for the inconvinience.

Anyway, the last resort would be to report the manufacturer along with details of the problem, to the Better Business Bureau. I've never had to do this, but I heard they do get on the company for things like that. Remember, only do that if it's a manufacturer rebate. Otherwise, report the store if it's a rebate from a store.
jollyrgr

Post by jollyrgr »

I don't consider mail-in rebates to be worth much. I used to but was chided by coworkers and friends as they seemed to always be "screwed". I did not think it was that bad until I started really adding up what I was missing out on. I didn't realize how many rebates I never received. If it is an instant rebate at the time of checkout, I accept that it will happen. If it is mail in I consider it a "present" should it really arrive.

One of the more flagrant ones I dealt with was from Linksys. I bought a DSL/Cable firewall router. It was supposed to have a $10 rebate at the counter and another $10 by mail. I got the counter rebate and mailed in the other. I kept waiting for the check and it never arrived. Called the 800 number and was told it was still in processing and so on. When the check finally arrived it had already expired!!!!

I bought two Belkin UPS units on clearance for $15 each. They had a $15 rebate as well. How can you beat that? You beat it by never sending the rebate or responding to e-mails. Still at $15 the price was cheaper than buying the batteries for the unit.

If you want to really pull my string you'd ask me about the "DO NOT CALL" registry scam. Too late, I pulled my own string and hopped up on the soap box......

I registered for the "DO NOT CALL" registry and stopped many phone calls. But there is a scam going on now that companies are using to get around this list. Namely there is an exception to DO NOT CALL; if you do business with the company or any of its partners they can call you. So certain companies now ask for your home phone number when you use a credit card. (Places like Sears have been doing this for years as they track customers this way so I don't chide them.) But other companies are now considering that you are doing business with them OR THEIR PARTNERS and ask for your phone number whe you pay by credit card. (They also do so with checks if it is not already printed there.) So what does this mean? It means that they can share your phone number with their partner that happens telemarketing companies!!!!
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. But billions of electrons, photons, and electromagnetic waves were terribly inconvenienced!
Joseph

Post by Joseph »

I am glad that I quit buying much computer stuff for rebates for over a year now. It seems the track record has gone down hill really fast. I have gotten all of mine so far. One, I had to call about but my paperwork was of somewhat questionable quality, so I was satisfied when they sent my check. I heard that the general rule is that you have to be very meticulous and meet the requirements perfectly.

About the Do Not Call List, another loophole is that "nonprofit" organizations are allowed to call. I hope they get rid of that one too. Who wants to be bothered?

<small>[ December 10, 2005, 12:12 PM: Message edited by: Joseph ]</small>
philba

Post by philba »

I usually just say no to the phone number thing. If they persist, I make one up on the spot.

The other thing to be concerned about is your zip code. That seems innocuous? nope. unless you have a really really really common name, your name and zip code is usually enough to match you up in their databases. I saw a presentation by a company that does this as their main business and they claimed to be able to match 80 to 90% of people with name and zip code. It kind of makes sense - the number of people with same name in a given zip code is pretty low. So I generally give every zip code in the area but my own.
Enzo

Post by Enzo »

I haven't been screwed on a rebate yet. I bought a new computer recently. E-machines cheapie from Best Buy. CAme with yet another printer. I have printers coming out my ears.

In any case, the rebates were in six parts, some from emachines, some from Lexmark, some from Best Buy. I got the last one today, $50 from emachines. It was 8 weeks almost to the day. Some came within a month.