Selling out repiar shop

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
tn_customs

Selling out repiar shop

Post by tn_customs »

hi,
my dad got sick and we closed the shop we have over 3 million in parts and test equipment most all t/e is sencore and parts go from over 1,000 ecg/nte and more all sams from 88 to 03 and some fac. manuals looking to sell out all for around 250 to 300k if u would like to know more email me @ [email protected]
Chris Smith

Re: Selling out repiar shop

Post by Chris Smith »

Take a Ad out in N&V for your best coverage.
Bernius1

Post by Bernius1 »

What about selling the entire business on EBAY ?
Can't we end all posts with a comical quip?
philba

Post by philba »

A number of businesses have been sold on ebay so that's a good solution. If you can't sell it as a business (or get your price), I think parting it out on ebay is a good solution. You get the benefit of auction speed while setting a market price. Test equipment does fairly well there, even old stuff. <p>You will need to do some work. The more detail you give the easier it will be for people to decide if they want to bid. I've seen boxes of stuff go for nothing because the seller just included a blurry picture with no other details.
Bernius1

Post by Bernius1 »

Yeah. If you want the most $, you've gotta do what everyone else does;
Make a good inventory, & package in $10-$20 baggies with several worthwhile components, & a bunch of fluff for filler. Otherwise people will offer nickels on the good stuff, & you'll be stuck with obsolete junk. You really need to know what you have, and which components are of particular value. Most of all the books ! Crossovers & data sheets are always valuable. Look here for an example of old heathkit parts.
Can't we end all posts with a comical quip?
tn_customs

Post by tn_customs »

yeah the bad thing is about ebay is i have to get at least 250k and then if i was to sit the resv at that i dhave to pay ebay 25k 2nd is i got invtory and prices for all exxecpt some of the older nap(philip) parts cant find a site or any hting to help me change the part number to the new 48 numbers
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

Getting a good price will require some savvy work. <p>If it comes down to liquidation, many component distributors will buy excess stock for more than pennies but probably less than original wholesale cost.<p>There are also agents who specialize in selling businesses like yours and bigger but I'm sure the comission will be at least as big as eBay.<p>eBay is a good way to get rid of test equipment but parts sell lousy. Just look at the component auctions and see how many have 0 bids.<p>Hopefully someone will buy it and keep it open in the same area. No doubt there is a need for a shop where you live (is it a parts shop or a repair shop?)<p>Its hard to put a value on a business because the potential of future profits can be at least as valuable as the physical assets or inventory and equipment. On the other hand, if the business was based on your dads talents and knowledge, it will only be worth the value of the inventory and other assets.<p>Good luck.<p>One last idea that just popped in; Talk to teachers/professors at tech colleges for ideas and leads. Maybe a recent grad or faculty is looking for a change. Schools are rife with qualified persons looking for careers.
tn_customs

Post by tn_customs »

its a repiar shop and the invtory at todays price is at 3 mill not counting over 5,000 nap(philips) parts i need to convet to new numbers some how there i nthe 612 and nto the new 483 nubers so i cant get prices on them
dr_when

Post by dr_when »

whatever....
"Who is John Galt?"