on semiconductor - trying to charge shipping on samples

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Mike

on semiconductor - trying to charge shipping on samples

Post by Mike »

i went to order some samples of some chips today from www.onsemi.com and they are trying to charge me $11 shipping/handling. this is the first time this happened.<p>does anybody else here have an onsemi login? if so, can you please login and click on "cart status" then tell me if it has a $11 shipping charge.<p>i don't know if this is a new thing with on semiconductor, or if since i ordered too many samples or somehting before its trying to limit my orders.<p>Thank you, mike
suniljha

Re: on semiconductor - trying to charge shipping on samples

Post by suniljha »

Yes! its true they start charging Shipping and handling charges on samples. And this is from last 3-4 months. The charge varies with country. I am from India and they are charging $20 even if you order 1 part.<p>Bye!
Sunil
Mike

Post by Mike »

thank you for the response.<p>I thought that I may have ordered too many samples for free and nothing that i pay for so they are charging shipping.<p>The last time I ordered from them was about a month before and i ordered some LM78L05 5V regulators. They didn't charge anything then.<p>I sent them an email asking about this charge, and am awating the response.
Rodney

Post by Rodney »

Why would anyone object to this? After all, it does take manhours and postage to send them out. Why would we expect anyone to support our little whims with unlimited free stuff? I think this is a good example of unbridled selfishness.
myp71

Post by myp71 »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Rodney:
Why would anyone object to this? After all, it does take manhours and postage to send them out. Why would we expect anyone to support our little whims with unlimited free stuff? I think this is a good example of unbridled selfishness.<hr></blockquote><p>Maybe so,But $11.00 don't you think that's kinda high for a maybe $3.00 worth of time,packing, and for shipping supplies? Maybe they are trying to cover the cost of the parts by charging really high s&h cost :eek:
Externet

Post by Externet »

Well, this is what ends happening when there is abuse of the free samples programs.
The samples are intended to promote their sales, aimed to manufacturing companies, where there is true need for evaluation of specially new components.
If someone wants to bypass going to the store for a simple well known plainly stocked old device, it is the wrong attitude.
So, pay for the mailing.<p>Whoever thinks it is not correct to charge for shipping, please send me samples of a 16F877 free from all charges. I would like to have three or four to play with.<p>Miguel
:)
- Abolish the deciBel ! -
Mike

Post by Mike »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by My-P71:
<p>Maybe so,But $11.00 don't you think that's kinda high for a maybe $3.00 worth of time,packing, and for shipping supplies? Maybe they are trying to cover the cost of the parts by charging really high s&h cost :eek: <hr></blockquote><p>thats my point, there is no way its worth 11 dollars. if it were 3 dollars, i would go for it.<p>and you are all missing my point, i just wanted to know if it was a glitch or something, so why don't all calm down.
Mike

Post by Mike »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Externet:
Whoever thinks it is not correct to charge for shipping, please send me samples of a 16F877 free from all charges. I would like to have three or four to play with.
:)
<hr></blockquote><p>thats a chip i have been wanting to play with also and i have been able to order free samples of the pic16f877a.
bodgy

Post by bodgy »

Perhaps they always send their items by courier, who often charge a flat rate for international deliveries.<p>I was recently quoted a £40.00 P&P for an item that by Royal Mail would have only cost 1.98 to Australia. This company only uses FedEx for export orders, samples etc.<p>Colin
On a clear disk you can seek forever.