Source for "bump-resistant" SPDT switch?

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Kevin Fitz-Gerald

Source for "bump-resistant" SPDT switch?

Post by Kevin Fitz-Gerald »

I am looking for a "bump-resistant" SPDT switch. This will be mounted externally on a piece of equipment, and I want something low-profile that would be difficult to bump into the other position. I am thinking of a switch that could be changed with maybe the tip of a car key, pen, etc. Any leads would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Kevin Fitz-Gerald

Re: Source for "bump-resistant" SPDT switch?

Wait a minute, I think that should be DPDT. It should have 6 terminals.
philba

Post by philba »

One way is to recess the switch. I've done this with push toggles but almost any switch can be done this way. You mount the switch on a flat piece of metal (or what ever) and then mount that against a, say, 3/4 thick piece of MDF with a 1" or so hole where the switch is. I usually bevel the edge of the hole and sand it down well. <p>Its pretty hard to accidentally hit the switch. To do so, one needs to poke something the right size in the recessed hole. A toggle will be even harder to accidentally turn on.<p>Another approach, especially using momentary switches with microprocessors, is requireing the switch to be held for some period of time (2 seconds is pretty good). <p>I have seen equipment with "pull on/push off" switches but have never seen them in catalogs.<p>[ March 07, 2005: Message edited by: philba ]</p>
rshayes

Post by rshayes »

I have seen such switches used for 110-220 volt selection in the power supplies of some equipment. These are essentially a slide switch without a protruding button. Instead, the sliding portion has a slot which can be operated with a small screwdriver. I would look in the Mouser or Digi-Key catalogs. Or possibly a scrapped computer power supply.
Dave Dixon

Post by Dave Dixon »

I've used Alcoswitch (Tyco) MTL series before on
an electric guitar. It's a small toggle, but you must pull out on the lever to change positions. Won't move when it is accidently hit. About ten dollars at Newark. Tyco has lots of distributors though. Let me know if you need further info. Regards,
Dave
sofaspud

Post by sofaspud »

A common way of protecting a switch from accidental use is with one of those little hinged caps. Mouser 653-A16ZA-5050 is a switchguard for various Omron switches.
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Aviation or military toggle switches have Chanel plates on each side to do this trick.<p>If you cut out a strip of aluminum sheet about three inches long by one inch wide, [1/16" thick will do] and place a hole the size of your toggle switch shaft dead center, and then fold the aluminum up in the shape of a U, with a 1/2" base where the hole goes, you have made your self the mil style protection cover, for less than a penny. <p>Just round off the sharp corners, and buff it to look like SS or even paint it?<p>[ March 07, 2005: Message edited by: Chris Smith ]</p>
Kevin Fitz-Gerald

Thank you everyone. I think I have found some that may work at:
http://www.alltronics.com/switches.htm
Dave Dixon

Post by Dave Dixon »

Just curious.....
Which one?
Dave
Kevin Fitz-Gerald

I have gone with the 95B008.
Dean Huster

Post by Dean Huster »

The slide switches that Stephen mentioned can be easily made from a cheap slide switch my simply sawing the actuator off. Drilling a 1/8" hole in the stub gives you a grip for a pen point to move the switch.<p>A little late, and not a commercial product, but it's sure cheap!<p>Dean
Dean Huster, Electronics Curmudgeon
Contributing Editor emeritus, "Q & A", of the former "Poptronics" magazine (formerly "Popular Electronics" and "Electronics Now" magazines).

R.I.P.