JDM Programmer help

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
hamsterears

JDM Programmer help

Post by hamsterears »

Okay, finally decided to try building the JDM programmer, and get IC-Prog as the software.<p>However, I do have a question. Has anybody ever used the JDM with the PIC 12F675? Does it work, and are any modifications needed? Sorry, that's two questions.<p>Anyway, the plan ATM is to build it with a separate 8-pin socket to avoid confusion when trying to program the 12F675. Obviously, if it won't work, there's no point in doing so.
L. Daniel Rosa

Re: JDM Programmer help

Post by L. Daniel Rosa »

Yes, it works with the 12F675. Of the mid-range PICs, I've yet to see specs on an 8, 14,18,28,or 40 pin DIP that is specifically incompatible with the JDM type programmer with one glaring exception: The 10F2xx series when in the optional 8pin DIP do not have the pins in the correct order.<p>I made separate sockets for mine too. They attach to the iCSP header to reduce wear on the onboard socket and frustration with insertion/removal.<p>You may want to look into getting an extension cable to avoid the chore of plugging the programmer into the back of your computer.
hamsterears

Post by hamsterears »

Thanks, that's good to know. The only problem I'm having right now is figuring out where the 8-pin units are supposed to plug into the socket.<p>I was planning on building it with an attached cable, since the PC I'm using doesn't have a 25-pin serial port.<p>BTW, for others building programmers, I've found a couple of places with 40-pin ZIF sockets for fairly good prices.<p>Futurlec provides a 3M socket for about $9 US.
http://www.futurlec.com/SockZIF.shtml<p>HVW technologies has one for $11.95 US.
http://www.hvwtech.com/pages/products_v ... ductID=560<p>Hope that helps.
Bernius1

Post by Bernius1 »

Mike, please clarify; That universal ZIF socket actually will receive standard and wide DIP's , 8-pin, 18-pin, 24-pin AND 40-pin, correct? I saw they have a 'universal pic' project baord with the same socket, for 16Fxx series.
I like that for a breadboard or op-amp design board. quick swap-out.
Can't we end all posts with a comical quip?
L. Daniel Rosa

Post by L. Daniel Rosa »

The JDM type programmer I have (yours may be different) has a 0.3" socket nested inside a 0.6" socket. The two sockets have different connections, so a "universal" ZIF that can handle both pin spacings would be of no use.<p>As for placement, I believe (I'm not looking at mine right now, but calling up foggy memory) that the 28 pin DIPs go in the skinny socket with the index at the end (the same end that the 40 pin wide DIPs would index from). The 18 pin units get justified to the other end with the index mid-socket, 8 and 14 pin units get the index in the same place as the 18s, with 5 and 2 pairs of holes from the end respectively. My original had it marked, but I gave it away after I made a copy. Lots of room for confusion and burnt chips, so I made the extra sockets.
hamsterears

Post by hamsterears »

Yes, the Futurlec socket (40-pin universal) will take both narrow and wide chips, up to 40 pins. (I bought one for a progammer I was going to build, then lost the schematic.)<p>Quality seems good, and the one I have is labeled "3M", so it seems they managed to find a good source.
Bernius1

Post by Bernius1 »

[Hands wringing] [Drool foaming] [Evil scientist music playing] [Evil laughing]
Hey , Bella Lugosi must've been an electronics hobbyist !
Thanks for the link !
L. Daniel Rosa

Post by L. Daniel Rosa »

no_vice, I'll grant that evil scientists have good taste in music, but where did you get a gramophone?
Bernius1

Post by Bernius1 »

Oh, Gramma's phone works fine, and even has an amplified handset and REALLY BIG NUMBERS !
Thanks again.
Bernius1

Post by Bernius1 »

Oh, Gramma's phone works fine, and even has an amplified handset and REALLY BIG NUMBERS !
Thanks again.