Relay Selection

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Ramdude

Relay Selection

Post by Ramdude »

Everyone has been so helpful I thought I would post yet another question...<p>In this automotive ckt I am experimenting with…I am using 12vdc for an illuminated toggle switch and the same 12v from the switch to control a relay.
If the ckt I am switching is low voltage 2.5vdc and sending it to ground through a 390 ohm resister could I use a DSS4 relay #681-0010 found here in place of a standard R51 coil type relay #235-0506 found here? <p>The R51 coil relay works fine but using the DSS4 with a resister I could mount them on a very small board and install into a box.
cato

Re: Relay Selection

Post by cato »

Looks like a fine replacement to me...especially if your load really is resistive..If it were inductive, I might be a little hesitant....I didnt look at the standard relay data....but the coil current on the reed was something like 144ma...assuming the coil won't be powered when the engine is off, that shouldn't be a problem...but it might be a bit high if its draining the battery while the vehicle is parked for a week in an airport parking lot.
Ramdude

Re: Relay Selection

Post by Ramdude »

No it wouldn't be powered all the time, the toggle to turn it on is illuminated as a warning the ckt is energized and the toggle will be connected to a keyed power source so if I forget and leave the switch on it would power down when I turn off the key.