modifying cue-cat

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Mike

modifying cue-cat

Post by Mike »

I have one of those cue-cat barcode scanner things, and I want to be able to use it like a scanner at a store, where it projects a beam and reads the barcode rather than having to scan the code by yourself. I want to be able to make a computer station with a scanner so customers can take produts and check the price of them. Can this be done?
Chris Smith

Re: modifying cue-cat

Post by Chris Smith »

You need compatible soft ware and a printer program to write the stickers. Most Stores like Grocery stores have this program, so If you know some one, ask for a copy and play with it.
myp71

Post by myp71 »

Yea you must have software for this,otherwhise alll any scanner will do is take the numbers on the barcpde and put them on your screen (liked you typed it).I do have remaping software that works just like you want it to.I could try to download it for you somehow if you would like.<p>
Ryan
Mike

Post by Mike »

I already have a barcode font. I'm trying to make a hardware modification where all you do is put the item under the scanner and it picks up the barcode. This is so you do not have to swipe the cuecat over the barcode. Kind-of like those barcode readers that project a red line against the barcode and read it from a distance.<p>Can this be done?
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Motion is essential. <p>Either you move the laser by hand, or use a rotating dove tail mirror to do the motion. <p>You need motion to send the tight beam from left to right or vice versa to read all the bars. <p>With out any motion, this is not possible.<p>[ March 05, 2005: Message edited by: Chris Smith ]</p>
dr_when

Post by dr_when »

Hi,<p>Chris is missing the point of your question. The Cue-cat is a swipe only barcode reader and can be used as a keycode wedge if you make a couple simple modes to it. You CANNOT make it a scanner such as stores use without great trouble. THe store scanners use mirrors to "spray/scan" the beam across the barcode and then read via sensitive amplifiers.
Symbol makes some very inexpensive scanners that run on 5 volts and oscillate their mirror with a meter-type movement. They have reduced the size of their scanners (years ago) to the point where they fit into space of a Visor Springboard module ( I have one). I would not bother trying to get the Cuecat to work like that. Again, the Cue-cat was a very simple swipe only reader with poor sensitivity.<p>Bob
"Who is John Galt?"
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Bob, Swiping is the motion.
dr_when

Post by dr_when »

Point taken Chris but all the swiping motion won't make it a bar code scanner. Add a D'Arsonval movement with mirrors and a sensitive pick-up and you might be close. But it's a moot point as the Cue-Cat doe not even use a laser diode...only a red led and a photo transistor. Cheap junk and that's why Radio Shack was giving them away.
"Who is John Galt?"
sofaspud

Post by sofaspud »

Mike, I'd have to agree that modifying the cue-cat to provide a scanning motion is not practical. But, of course, it could be made stationary and the customer would then swipe the barcode underneath it. Somewhat similar to a credit card reader.
IOW, motion is required, but the motion is only relative to the sensor and the barcode. It doesn't matter which one is actually moving.
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Your right there. <p>I dont know the different brands, just the hard ware and lasers.
jwax

Post by jwax »

Just for info, look at: http://cexx.org/cuecat.htm
Lots of used bar code scanners on the market, too.
WA2RBA