Tube Bargraph VU meter

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
ascii_me

Tube Bargraph VU meter

Post by ascii_me »

Hi All:
Glad I finally joined this board- I have occasionally read NUTS and VOLTS and find it interesting and fun.<p>I have a question for those of you out there knowledgeable in tube circuits and audio.<p>I want to build a audio meter, VU or db level (or both?) using a tube bargraph. If you are not familiar with these, they are like Nixies except it is a long single tube where the display increases in length with increase in current to the tube. I have 4 of these tubes on hand, and they require up to 140v to drive them.<p>I havent designed tube circuits or power supplies for them before, so I need some help. I have built circuits before and understand the basics. Any thoughts or schematics would be great!<p>Your humble and obedient,
Ascii_Me
jwax

Re: Tube Bargraph VU meter

Post by jwax »

A manufacturer and part number of the "led tubes" would be helpful. What was your source of these tubes?
WA2RBA
Edd

Re: Tube Bargraph VU meter

Post by Edd »

Sounds like they might be Panaplex displays ( blue/green? or orange coloring..sometimes white also) with their segment bars, in which case each ascending segment section is fed from off board circuitry that detects the increasing log scaled voltage change[If Vu meter display mode] and progressively feeds in HV drive voltage to the appropriately lined up segments. (There are probably dedicated chips already made for that driver function)<p>73's de Edd
[email protected] .........(Interstellar~~~~Warp~~~Speed)
[email protected].........(Firewalled-Spam*Cookies*Crumbs)
;) ;)