Star Linear Systems actuators

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
asm_2750

Star Linear Systems actuators

Post by asm_2750 »

Where can I find the actuators for the poor man CNC on the web?
Chris Smith

Re: Star Linear Systems actuators

Post by Chris Smith »

You build them?

A rack and pinion gear set, and a stepper motor.

That or a couple of grand?
asm_2750

Post by asm_2750 »

Hmm, strange. I kinda wish the article had more info on sources on how to aquire linear actuators, I have the BS2 it requires. I guess, you do have to build them, or use a different source than the author.

<small>[ December 01, 2005, 10:30 PM: Message edited by: asm_2750 ]</small>
philba

Post by philba »

it would be nice if I knew what you were talking about - my Dec issue of N&V is still MIA. sigh.

You might look around on ebay. Lots of CNC components for sale over there.
philba

Post by philba »

I finally got the dec issue. those sure look like actuators I've seen on ebay though a quick search did not turn any up. Basically its an integrated slide and motor. The problems I see with that design are
</font>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">weak motors - they look like nema17s which are very weak.</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">the stepper controller runs off 5V with no current limiting. That's OK if the motors are rated for 5V. If lower they will need current limiting resistors.</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">the stepper controller has no back emf diodes. that might be ok at 5V but why take the risk?</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">no interface to a PC to run a cnc program like turbo cnc. You really need to have something that will interpret G Code in order to do anything worthwhile.</font></li>
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

It's probably a good project for some one to play with CNC concepts but I wouldn't expect it to actually do anything.

<small>[ December 06, 2005, 07:22 PM: Message edited by: philba ]</small>