USB interface for USB (portable) Flash Drives

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
wilberhdez

USB interface for USB (portable) Flash Drives

Post by wilberhdez »

Hello - this is my first time here.<p>I need some help on building a project for school (a Portable Microcontroller-Based Electrocardiograph Recorder). I'm looking for a way to be able to store the collected data into a USB Flash Drive (or USB Memory Sticks) that can be plugged into the device. Has anyone done something like this?<p>
Regards,
Wilber
jwax

Re: USB interface for USB (portable) Flash Drives

Post by jwax »

Wilbur- is this the sort of device you're planning on building?
http://www.minimitter.com/Products/Actiheart/index.html
(I thought of these folks because I used to work there- :) )
WA2RBA
wilberhdez

Re: USB interface for USB (portable) Flash Drives

Post by wilberhdez »

Yes, that's it. But instead of downloading the recorded data to a computer using a standard USB connection, I would like to download the recorded data to a USB Flash Drive. <p>I visited the www.usb.org site, and saw a USB specification called, "USB On-The-Go". It addresses the need for mobile interconnectivity between two USB devices/peripherals (PC not necessary). I can't find a module that can handle this. However, I've found chip makers (Atmel, National, and others) that sell "USB On-The-Go" controller/microcontroller chips with that type of I/O interface. <p>I'm thinking of getting the controller chip that supports the "USB On-The-Go" and connect it to to a I/O port in the microcontroller. But if you know of a better way to do this, please let me know.<p>
tks,
Wilber