Need Ideas For Encasing Projects

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
digitalox

Need Ideas For Encasing Projects

Post by digitalox »

Basically I'm looking for ideas on easy ways to make cases for my electronics projects. I live in an apartment so maybe this limits my options as to the tools and materials I can use. I bought some plastic boxes at the electronics store but am not sure what tools would be best to cut out openings, etc. for the pcb board to go in and have the LEDs, knobs showing. <p>Thanks,
Scott
Chris Smith

Re: Need Ideas For Encasing Projects

Post by Chris Smith »

I use drills, reamers, and hot wires or objects to cut holes in box projects. <p>Also [carefully] a sharp knife for odd shapes, trimming and tapering, as wells a files, and hack saw type blades. <p>Power tools, other than the drill are usually not necessary. A Dremel perhaps?<p>Heat up an exacto knife blade to cut extensive odd shape holes.
L. Daniel Rosa

Post by L. Daniel Rosa »

Electrical junction boxes are available in a few presentable shapes/sizes.
Chris Foley

Post by Chris Foley »

Hi, Scott. Radio Shack has a variety of soft thermoplastic boxes which I use for knock-offs. Here are some of the tools I'll use:<p>* A pin vise and a couple of small drill bits
* A drill of some kind (for plastic/thin aluminum, hand drills work pretty well)
* A Uni-Bit(R) and a spare drill chuck or other method to hold it, and reamer
* A nibbling tool (always helpful for those aluminum covers)
* A supply of plastic cord clamp strain reliefs for thicker chassis (the thinner ones slide out)
* A good retractable utility knife and electrician's knife
* Steel rule
* Center punch to indicate holes and give drill bits a start
* Dymo-Labeller (you'd be amazed how many times I've had to open up the boxes to figure out what's in it until I got this one down). Also, carefully clean the box with alcohol before attaching the label. You can also tape a slip of paper down until you get a labeller -- clean first as above.
* Lab notebook to document your work -- once you bury it, you'll have to dig it up again to find out what it is. Also, use the Dymo-Labeller to put a unique ID number on each box.<p>The Uni-Bit is especially helpful, because you can get a starter hole going, then use the uni-Bit to easily expand the hole in the plastic to virtually any size. The 1/8" to 1/2" in 1/32 steps is especially helpful. Be careful about walking the center of the hole as you step into the hole, especially where positioning is critical.<p>Hot-wire cutting is a good idea, but I haven't tried it. I'll try to use the soft thermoplastic boxes, which are really easy to cut.<p>Good luck.
Chris<p>[ January 11, 2004: Message edited by: Chris Foley ]</p>