Television problem

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
noirion

Television problem

Post by noirion »

I have just experienced the picture going from normal to shrinking to a vertical line going from one end of the tube to the other. It's a color tv so there's sort of a rainbow line not just white.
The problem began a couple of weeks ago. At first the picture would change to that vertical line in the center and I could turn it off and it would go back to the picture. As the days went on the time I got to watch the tv became shorter until finally it's only on for a few seconds and the picture goes to the vertical line exactly in the middle of the screen. I hope it isn't the picture tube. I can't afford another television at this time but I can afford to send you twenty bucks for the help. I tried to resource as much as I could on the internet but I don't have much trouble shooting experience with tv/vcr's. The model number is TP2520DW-1 and the chassis is ALDC142.
Edd

Re: Television problem

Post by Edd »

Noirion:
Sounds like you have an older Punysonic/Quasar…with it being the 25 in size kine, vice one of the the newer kine sizes. The myriad of coloration is just the display of the chroma pic info …albeit…now compressed down into a single line…ergo the loss of the functionality of the sets vertical deflection circuitry.
With your supplied info of the gradual onset of the condition, we might as well start with the simplest likely thing, which hopefully might be your sole problem thus precluding the more complex involvement with its vert deflection IC, electrolytic caps, pwr supply feed resistors, deflection yoke, etc.
Get the set operating with its back dust cover off and set up a mirror in front of the set so that you can get a panoramic view of the front of the screen while you are at the rear of the chassis. While initially cold, the sets pic will probably be normal but if it is without sweep you can take a long insulated screwdriver or a plastic tool of equivalent mass and use its plastic handle as the tapping agent and lightly tap around the chassis top to see if there is a transition in the picture…e.g. good to bad or bad to good. Two to three areas typically use metal heatsinking of power devices. The hoz out xstr, the power supply, the vert deflection and sometimes, the audio output sections.
While checking, the vertical IC and its heat sink is the one of most interest. Of particular interest also are any adjacent power resistors or the connector interfacing to the vert yoke leads. If this reveals a failure of connectivity of a component on the chassis , a closer inspection of the cold chassis with a MAGNIFIER will probably reveal a component lead floating in a thermally or current induced “cold solder joint” . reflow any questionable ones with a liberal utilization of supplemental flux, with particular attention directed to the Vert IC and the yoke plug connector and those adjacent areas. Fill in/update us .
73's de Edd
[email protected] .........(Interstellar~~~~Warp~~~Speed)
[email protected].........(Firewalled-Spam*Cookies*Crumbs)
;) ;) The Gold-dust twins<p>[ January 11, 2004: Message edited by: Edd Whatley ]</p>