dos hints

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
v6a1a4

dos hints

Post by v6a1a4 »

I love high-tech everything but God bless the old simplicity of DOS.I keep an old 386 laptop around specifically to run DOS and program in C. It's been almost 3 years since I last dusted off old Bessy and I need a couple of reminders. I remember a shortcut involving the Ctrl key that would dump the contents of a buffer of some sort next to the DOS prompt. This buffer would contain the last keys typed prior to a carriage return (<enter&gt ;) . If you typed a long command and got the syntax slightly wrong you could hit Ctrl 'something' and the last command typed would appear on the screen and you could then correct your command and carry on. I forget exactly how this worked, and since you keen readers will probably connect the dots and realize I also recently lost my DOS manuals I could use some help.
Sincerely James
rshayes

Re: dos hints

Post by rshayes »

I have a book on DOS 6.2 which describes two command line editing operations.<p>[Esc] Cancels the current command line without changing the template buffer. Resets the template cursor to the beginning of the line.<p>[F3] Copy all. Copies all remaining characters from the template to the command line.<p>The template buffer contains a copy of the last executed command line.<p>It seems to me that an [Esc] [F3] keystroke sequence would duplicate the last command entered.
bodgy

Post by bodgy »

Replied in Computers!<p>
Colin
On a clear disk you can seek forever.
josmith

Post by josmith »

The later versions of dos had good help files. I think you just type help at the prompt to get a list of commands covered.
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

F2 types back in one entry letter at a time, F3 is all of the last command. CLS is clear screen, and Control C is Quit? While control Z is remember command.
v6a1a4

Post by v6a1a4 »

Thanks all!<p>Cheers, James
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

Right arrow to the end will show the whole last command also. Then you can left arrow back to the desired spot and use delete to remove an extra character or insert to add characters at that point, then right arrow to the end again. Don't forget to hit insert again to return to standard typing.<p>CeaSaR<p>Oops! Forgot to say that standard typing (no insert) overtypes from the selected point.<p>[ January 11, 2004: Message edited by: CeaSaR. ]</p>
Hey, what do I know?