Servo

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
PICman

Servo

Post by PICman »

I've been looking for new robotics magazines. Does anyone know where I can find one on robot construction and programming. I'm getting tired of Servo. The March issue did me in. Between artices on brackets, Robosapien, how robots are bad guys in movies and how Chile is like Mars because the dirt is red, I'm through. I love Nuts and Volts and want something like that for robots. Where else can I go? Reading Servo is like reading a robotic Hightlights for Children.
Engineer1138

Re: Servo

Post by Engineer1138 »

Brackets???
philba

Post by philba »

I don't think you'll find a magazine. There are several active robotics groups that have an online presence. Seattle Robotics Society is particularly good. They have an extremely active yahoo group and their quarterly eZine, the encoder, has lots of good stuff. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SeattleRobotics/
http://www.seattlerobotics.org/srs-home.htm
chapter30

Post by chapter30 »

I like to learn new robotics stuff from books. They are generally more complete in explaining things than a magazine. It would get pretty expensive to get a new book every month though, also they won't contain the newest technology.<p>I just re-upped my subscription to Servo after saying I wouldn't. I think I'm just afraid I'll miss something.
claylj

Post by claylj »

I agree. Servo is the most childish technical magazine that I have ever read. The articles that might be of technical interest have many mistakes and missing diagrams or ramble on without ever getting to the point.<p>There are several good computer magazines published in the UK, does anyone know if they have any robot magazines?
Adam Y.

Post by Adam Y. »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr> There are several good computer magazines published in the UK, does anyone know if they have any robot magazines?
<hr></blockquote>
The one I know of is actually a robotics kit that you get every four monthes. It's pretty cool looking. Also you might want to try out robotics trends. It's free but it doesn't have any of the type of stuff relating to hobby robotics. It's online. IEEE has a magazine soley dedicated to robotics and automation. I just checked and my library has all the issues of it. Whopee <blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr> Robosapien <hr></blockquote>
Actually it was the new version of robosapien and that was only two pages long.
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Brackets??? <hr></blockquote>
An article on using parts from a hardware store for building a robot's chasis. I actually like Servo compared to Nuts and Volts for the very reason you guys hate it. It's written so that anyone can understand which is probably why I like certain robotics books over others. Also, if you need any recommendations on robotics books just ask me.<p>[ March 06, 2005: Message edited by: Adam Y. ]<p>[ March 06, 2005: Message edited by: Adam Y. ]<p>[ March 06, 2005: Message edited by: Adam Y. ]<p>[ March 06, 2005: Message edited by: Adam Y. ]<p>[ March 06, 2005: Message edited by: Adam Y. ]</p>