MP-3 audio player ( Cheap!!)

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Wa8DLI

MP-3 audio player ( Cheap!!)

Post by Wa8DLI »

I'am looking to build a small MP-3 player (audio)that will play maybe a dozen different sounds that are 2-5 seconds long each and would have some easy method of selecting each one. It would be programmable from my computers USB port. It can be mono and have line level output. Must be battery operated. There must be some kind of inexpensive chips that would do this? [email protected] :roll:
chessman

Re: MP-3 audio player ( Cheap!!)

Post by chessman »

I haven't seen any MP3 decoder chips that aren't TQFP....has anybody else?<p>Oh yeah, I don't remember part numbers.
ljbeng

Post by ljbeng »

Check www.quadravox.com<p>They have a MP3 player. Not too cheap though.
chessman

Post by chessman »

Okay, I did a little more research:<p>SGS Thompson STA013 MP3 Decoder Chip, SOP-28 Package<p>There's also a chip by VLSI called the VS1001 that can decode MP3s.<p>Details about an application for this chip are at a project site www.yampp.com
Mike

Post by Mike »

there used to be a site called mpfree.com that had a schematic to build a free mp3 player. The site no longer exists, though. if I can find the schematics, I'll post them on my website: www.mikaja.freeservers.com It may take me a while, so keep checking.