Microphone to Microprocessor

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
ljbeng

Microphone to Microprocessor

Post by ljbeng »

At some time in history, I saw a simple electret microphone amplifier that connected direct to an analog (0-5V) input of a microprocessor. Does anyone have a link or example of this drawing? I want very simple sound activation (any sound louder than a whisper) Thanks.
Chris Smith

Re: Microphone to Microprocessor

Post by Chris Smith »

You don’t need a processor for that. Sound activated circuits have been around for more than 50 years, and consist of nothing more than the voltage of a mic, triggering a circuit. If your sound is complicated [logic], then you apply the logic circuit necessary to decipher that out. Like the clapper, two claps equals one on, and then again when repeated equals one off. That requires a couple of flip flops or gates to do that, not a whole microprocessor.
jwax

Post by jwax »

ljbeng- Do you want a simple "on" pulse from a sound to trigger the uPC? I simple electret won't give you +5V with a whisper, but maybe from a loud clap. Whatchadoin'?
WA2RBA
ljbeng

Post by ljbeng »

The micro does a lot more than just react to the sound but sound is one of the inputs I need. I want it to go to the analog input so in the future I can look at the relative sound level to do other tricks.... (it's a toy dog thing for my kid. It used to have a cabled remote control with 5 functions but we want it to do it's tricks from sound. Any sound will activate a random function.)