Old cell phone (S)

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
myp71

Old cell phone (S)

Post by myp71 »

Is there anyting fun to Have with a old moto talkbout cellphone?<p>
Thanks
myp71
haklesup

Re: Old cell phone (S)

Post by haklesup »

Children, especially little girls, love to play with old cell phones.<p>But seriously, cell phones are usually so integrated and minimalist in design that they leave few useful parts for canibalization. Even the battery is probably too old and tired to be of much use for long.
geewiz

Post by geewiz »

If you're concrned about the invasive technology being introduced into newer phones, keep the old one at hand and hope provider(s) will allow on their network.<p>"..invasive technology"? You ask. Yes, like gps tracking systems most users are unaware are even in their phones. The manufacturers don't include any info about this in their users' manuals. One maker (forgot which; maybe Qualcomm) does include it in their docs and even allows user to disable it. Most do not. And, with even newer phones, you can be located even with phone powered off.
chessman

Post by chessman »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by geewiz:
If you're concrned about the invasive technology being introduced into newer phones, keep the old one at hand and hope provider(s) will allow on their network.<p>"..invasive technology"? You ask. Yes, like gps tracking systems most users are unaware are even in their phones. The manufacturers don't include any info about this in their users' manuals. One maker (forgot which; maybe Qualcomm) does include it in their docs and even allows user to disable it. Most do not. And, with even newer phones, you can be located even with phone powered off.<hr></blockquote><p>Of course, you don't mention the fact that these features are to locate your position in under 30 seconds in the event of an emergency call where you are unable to describe your location. ;)
bodgy

Post by bodgy »

the phone company has always been able to track roughly where you are with a mobile phone, otherwise how would the switching centre know which cell you happen to be in and which cell to hand you over to when you wander into the next one?<p>With GSM phones the tracking is tighter.<p>Colin
On a clear disk you can seek forever.
myp71

Post by myp71 »

thanks guys, these really are not that old of cell phones I have two actually one is the one I was talking about the other one is a really new one this one is a Motorola 120e very good phone is there a company besides ebay that will buy my phone? I see that this, phone still sells for $50.00 or so I did get this phone under warranty so it didn't cost me anything but I would still like to unload it. <p>thanks for your help
My(black&white)P71