IR sensor

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Mike6158

Re: IR sensor

Post by Mike6158 »

I'll be darned... One little forward slash was missing. I don't know that I've ever seen that... Usually URL's aren't so persnickity.
"If the nucleus of a sodium atom were the size of a golf ball, the outermost electrons would lie 2 miles away. Atoms, like galaxies, are cathedrals of cavernous space. Matter is energy."
Bern

Post by Bern »

Thanks Stephen, that looks like the baby. Now I am looking for a source. I have checked several places, both normal supply catalogs, and surplus houses. No luck yet. The problem is I only need a few at this point. -- Thanks
rshayes

Post by rshayes »

Glolab (www.glolab.com) sells them for $4.00 each. The OEM cost is probably much less, but I doubt if you can get the OEM price without buying 10,000 or so.

All Electronics (www.alltronics.com) has some listed at $3.95. Their catalog number is IRD-10.

The Electronic Goldmine (www.goldmine-elec.com) has complete PIR sensors for $9.95 (G14458) and $10.95 (G15239).
rshayes

Post by rshayes »

The RE200B appears to be made by Nippon Ceramics (http://www.nicera.co.jp/indexe.htm).

I doubt if they take small orders.
Bern

Post by Bern »

Thanks again, Stephen. I very much appreciate your help. The funny thing is that all this time I have had a catalog from All Electronics sitting right next to me. I know I have looked through it, and also their on line catalog, but somehow missed it. I even had ordered some parts from them just a couple of weeks ago.

I was at Wal-Mart and found an outdoor motion security lights for $6.50. That includes the lens, which will come in handy for some of my requirements, a case, and a few other miscellaneous parts to go into my junk box. Probably a reasonable way to go for a while till I see how things develop. I will also pick up a few from AE.
connect21

Post by connect21 »

Bern

One company that makes these IR detector is for PIR is Heineman or Heinemann, not sure of the spelling, I have one in my hand right now but there is nothing written on it but I remember seeing that name on some. I also found information on them on the Internet
rshayes

Post by rshayes »

Probably Heimann Sensor GMBH (www.heimannsensor.com).
Michael J

Post by Michael J »

The pyro sensors used in motion detectors are
very fiddly devices to use.

They can be dammaged just by touching the surface
of the pyro element, so they say.

I had a source of used detectors/sensors from a
security firm. I gave up playing with them as
they need very specific circuitry to get them
to perform properly.

I would be going to the supermarkets, hardware or
cheap goods outlets and simply getting, whatever
it was (device that had built in motion sensor)
and ripping that out and using it.
Get something that has the sensor module as a
separate movable unit attached to it.

The auto light switching ones here in Australia
quite often have a 24V relay (almost useless in
most applications) to switch the 240V AC light on.
The relays can be replaced by a 12V version.
You may also have to check out how they are
powered on the low voltage circuit side, most have
a 5V regulator inside somewhere.
Or alternately PIR Security Sensors are mostly
12V and switch a small relay or reed relay, they
are getting very cheap to buy now.
ian

Post by ian »

Bern, I have a few surplus units I can send you for free if you like. They're pretty much all the same as far as I can tell. Give me your e-mail and I'll contact you if you want. You might also be interested in the TS27L4 quad op amp available from digikey for your application. It draws about 40uA.