battery leaking

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
david753

battery leaking

Post by david753 »

I installed some batteries in a flashlight weeks ago.
But, I found the batteries are leaking something as white liquid after I opened it.
Now, I am curious about why the white liquide were leaking, and how can I avoid it?
jollyrgr

Re: battery leaking

Post by jollyrgr »

If you are using alkaline batteries the substance leaking is probably the electrolyte which is potassium hydroxide. This is a strong alkali that will cause serious chemical burns if it gets on your skin or on fabrics. It is also corrosive to metals.<p>Most likely the battery was damaged in some way. Is the flashlight by chance metal? Is it carried in a car? I have a "famous make" flashlight (police often carry the same brand) that I carry in the car. When I left the flashlight under the seat it moved around and the rolling physically damaged the batteries causing them to short and leak. I store the flashlight more carefully now. Other times you will simply have batteries that are manufactured incorrectly and they simply fail. Do you see the warning on the battery not to mix old and new batteries? That is not just to sell more batteries. If you have a weak battery with a fresh battery you can potentially recharge the weaker battery from the fresh one. The chemical makeup of the alkaline and carbon/zinc batteries are not very easily recharged and can cause the battery to rupture. If one of the batteries just happened to be bad out of the box and was recharged by a good one, this could cause leaking as well.
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. But billions of electrons, photons, and electromagnetic waves were terribly inconvenienced!
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

Most battery types will leak but usually after they are long dead and forgotten inside of a device. Heavy duty batteries are notorious for this. <p>"Weeks ago" (even 27 weeks) should be well within the storage life of alkaline but extreme conditions (rough handling, very high/low temp, fast discharge, short circuit) may shorten this significantly.<p>Some batteries are well sealed but cheap ones (store brands) may not be as well crimped/gasketed at the ends making them more likly to leak. ALL batteries are designed to vent (leak) rather than explode. After a battery dies (and as it is used), gasses build up inside the cell. Eventually the pressure causes a leak.<p>Just about any battery powered device comes with the warning to remove the batteries if you are storing it for a long time. But exactly how long is long, Its a bit of a guess but 6 months storage should be reasonable. <p>Batteries by reputable brands like the one with the copper headed bunny should be less likly to leak prematurely but even they will eventually. I've noticed that the construction of those batteries tends to contain the spill a little better as well.
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Also dead shorts can cause them to over heat and leak.