Schematic CAD program?

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
ian

Schematic CAD program?

Post by ian »

I love this place, so many smart people here. Some a little too smart, but lets not get into that....... Anybody know of a good(and by good I mean cheap)CAD program for drawing circuits? I need something that has gates(nor, nand, etc.), microcontrollers, transistors etc so I can draw a presentable circuit.
Ian
russlk

Re: Schematic CAD program?

Post by russlk »

Switcher Cad III is a schematic capture program free from Linear Technology. The logic symbols are limited, but you can draw more.
bodgy

Post by bodgy »

There is also Eagle free version is restricted to 6*4" PCBs and 1 sheet.<p>www.cadsoft.com or .de (either are valid)<p>Autotrax free version is pin numer restricted, can be unlocked. Still has some bugs and an active support group. Protel like in capabilities.<p>www.autotraxeda.com<p>Xcircuit, haven't used this, but seen drawings that have - free.<p>www.xcircuit.ece.jhu.edu<p>
Serverely restricted demo's but reasonable prices.<p>Easy-PC has circuit simulation software.<p>www.numberone.com<p>Proteus, forget their URL for the moment.
But have a inbuilt code simulator for 8051s and Pics. Will accept ASM or some Basics for the code.<p>In similar vein to Russ's thought, B2Spice, if downloaded from brownbag software, has a basic library of parts, less than Switchercad though.<p>Colin<p>
PS. I got down this far and my finger slipped and closed the page, so this is the second typing - the air was ever so slightly purple in the bodgy abode for a short explosive time. :mad:
On a clear disk you can seek forever.
ian

Post by ian »

bodgy, I'm not looking for a pcb layout program, I'm looking for a circuit drawing program. I don't know about the other programs you've described but autotraxeda doesn't have any gates or editing features for drawing circuits. I think you have the wrong idea.
Russ, I'll check out switchercad.
wd5gnr

Post by wd5gnr »

Actually Eagle has schematic capture and PCB routing. I often use it just for the schematics.<p>I have a recent book about using Eagle which covers a lot of ground including schematic capture, PCB, routing, how to make your own boards, and how to have them sent out... <p>Whoops that's the wrong link for some reason...<p>Here's the right one:
Correct link<p>[ January 03, 2004: Message edited by: wd5gnr ]</p>
bodgy

Post by bodgy »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by ian:
bodgy, I'm not looking for a pcb layout program, I'm looking for a circuit drawing program. .<hr></blockquote><p>OK, but most PCB package software have the schematics editor built in as part of the deal.<p>However Xcircuits is a pure schematic drawing software by itself. How about Visio,- quite expensive though.<p>Not sure what you mean about Autotrax - it, like Eagle defaults to a schematic drawing program and the PCB side has to be invoked. <p>Colin
bodgy

Post by bodgy »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by wd5gnr:
http://tinyurl.com/hisc<hr></blockquote><p>Hmm the tinyurl only takes you to the home page - of clothes and apparel, rather than electronics.<p>
Colin
rshayes

Post by rshayes »

Most of the schematic capture drawings produce poor drawings after a great deal of pain and suffering. The expensive ones {$5000+) are not much better than the cheap ones in this respect. At least one program that I have used had the library parts laid out with connections on .09 in centers. I usually use a .1 in grid. This resulted in lots of connections that didn't quite match up.<p>One early schematic capture program would not allow connections to the top or bottom of symbols. Later versions may have fixed this.<p>Moving and copying can be tricky in schematic capture programs, since they use a reference point of their choosing and it may not be in a convenient place. Drawing programs permit moving and copying with numerically defined locations, which is much more predictable.<p>The part editors in these programs are crude and difficult to work with. Defining your own parts can be a long and frustrating process. Changing existing parts is not very easy either.<p>The basic objective of a schematic capture program is to produce a netlist and possibly a parts list. Producing a clean and easy to read schematic is secondary.<p>When I don't need a netlist, I usually use TurboCAD Designer. This is sold by IMSI and costs about $30 at retail. There are more elaborate versions of TurboCAD, at about $100 and $300, but the low end version works quite well for ordinary two-dimensional mechanical drawing. It can put out .DXF files, which can be converted to other formats, such as Powerpoint, with the appropriate filter. (This is an optional filter which can be installed from the Office CD.)<p>I have tried drawing programs that cost as little as $10. These were too limited and hard to use. The $30 TurboCAD seems to be a reasonable compromise. I have also used the same program to print mailing labels, prepare patent drawings, and to generate artwork for photolithography masks.<p>The program includes a library of symbols. I usually just generate my own, and then copy them as needed. Its easier than searching the library.
Isenbergdoug

Post by Isenbergdoug »

There was a free version of 2-D Turbocad that may still be available on their web site. As far as schematic drawings, try the Orcad student version. http://www.orcad.com/downloads/demo/default.asp
I use this software all the time not only for drawing schematics, but also flow charts and everything else. Plus if you want to simulate your circuits, Pspice is built in. Also there is alot of documentation on using this software on the web.
rickske

Post by rickske »

I used to use Eagle (which I unlocked so I could draw 16 x 10 cm board, don't ask me how, can't tell you), PCB Express, Electronics Workbench and Circuit Maker. I got tired to go through help all the time so I decided to use AutoCAD (since I am good at it). I sat down and created symbols (both schematic capture and PCB layouts). My library is growing every day and my drawings are first class!