Large power diodes and IGBT

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
connect21

Large power diodes and IGBT

Post by connect21 »

Would anybody know where to buy diodes and IGBTs, in small quantities, that could carry large current. For the diodes I am looking for 40 Amps and 200 Amps and for IGBTs, I am looking for 40 Amps. This is to make a small welding machine. I have seen some at Digi-Key but I was wondering if it could be found elsewhere cheaper.
Thanks
n7hqk

Re: Large power diodes and IGBT

Post by n7hqk »

Find the components you need at one of the mfgrs then fill out their free sample request form on line. ON, Freescale, (formerly Motorola) IRC etc. all have sample programs with great response.
Ray C.
connect21

Post by connect21 »

Ray<p> I have done that in the past as a last resort. Because I couldn't buy the part I needed in a small quantity, I had to buy 25 and only needed 1, I asked for samples and I had to pretend I was working on a prototype, so they sent me 5...
These parts that I am looking for are expensive, the 200 Amp diodes must be arround $15 or $20 each and I need 4 to make a bridge. I am affraid they will see me coming and not go for it. It might be worth trying but I would feel more comfortable if I could find some at a resonable price.<p>Thanks for the idea
Marc
Enzo

Post by Enzo »

Digikey prices are usually reasonable. But I always have my Mouser and Allied catalogs on the bench. Those are my main three for general parts.<p>Never hurts to look through the surplus outlets. Places like Hosfelt, MECI, Fair Radio Sales, Electronics Goldmine, etc. Look through the ads in the N&V magazine for others.
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

200 amp SCRs make great diodes, and used one are always out there on the market. <p>Try ALL ELECTRONICS of Van Nuys, and industrial supplies also recycle large amounts. <p>When turned on, the are just a common diode.
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

i have 2 heavy duty SCR's
PRX C45E 8909
these are ceramic and have a 1/2 stud...
would you have any use for these? if so let me know..
*remember Monty Hall* ;) <p>hey have you tried to contact any MFG's for heavy duty battery chargers or any place that works on electric fork lifts etc...just an idea...
connect21

Post by connect21 »

Thanks for all your tips, I never thoutht about using SCR as diodes.<p>Mr. Dacflyer, thanks for the offer, I'll see what what I can find in my area and I'll let you know.<p>Marc
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

ok,, your welcome..
connect21

Post by connect21 »

In my research I found a company that makes large power diodes and IGBT, I don't know about their prices though, their name is Powerex.

Marc