led indicator light

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
spindown

led indicator light

Post by spindown »

I just attached two halogen driving lights below the front bumper of my ford ranger. I would like to wire in an led indicator light at the switch in the cab so I can tell when these lights are on. Can someone refer me to a source for this circuit. Thanks Paul
josmith

Re: led indicator light

Post by josmith »

Put the led in series with a resistor of around 600 to 1000 ohms. The flat side of the led goes to ground. The resistor goes from the positive (same wire that's going to the lights) of the switch to the round side of the led.
Dean Huster

Re: led indicator light

Post by Dean Huster »

Wouldn't it be a lot easier to simply look at the position of the switch to see if they're on? And if it's too light out to see if they're on, they shouldn't be anyway. I hate all the extra lights they're putting on cars for it seems to give folks the idea that it's OK to run four, six and eight lights down the road because they have their high beams off. Hate that danged things.

No extra charge for my opinion.

Dean
Dean Huster, Electronics Curmudgeon
Contributing Editor emeritus, "Q & A", of the former "Poptronics" magazine (formerly "Popular Electronics" and "Electronics Now" magazines).

R.I.P.