fixing PS2

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
new guy

fixing PS2

Post by new guy »

My son has SONY Play station 2 that does not work. He had it checked out and was told the "laser" was bad, and it would cost $100.00 for the parts. Is anyone familiar with these games or ever fixed one? Does anyone know how to check for a bad "laser"?
philba

Re: fixing PS2

Post by philba »

google is your friend. first hit: http://www.videogamerepair.com/
Opencan

Post by Opencan »

the laser "eye" is a part that reads the DVD, I don't know much about it, others here may, but as far as i know poeple don't tend to work on this laser and just buy a new laser circuit. if the laser "eye" is scratched \ burnt, i doubt the possibility to fix it. when it scratched, the game will freeze and the audio will jump, if it burnt, or one of the components around it, it just needed to check the value of each component and see if its the same as written on it. that is just my unexperienced thoughts. note the fact that resistors, capasitors and such, tend to show a different value while wired in parallel.
mainly, it seems to me like fixing a TV :)
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

i have seen replacement lazer moduals for this gamein book etc. for as low as $40.00
check e-bay also...