Funny radio shack story & question

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Bob Haller

Funny radio shack story & question

Post by Bob Haller »

I went to my local RS looking for round key lock switches and found they are discontinued. But another store still had them in inventory. So I went there. The sales person didnt want to look in a box in the back room. Finally she did but brought back the wrong one. After I insisted she made a face and did in about 2 minutes find the 3 key locks. I needed these badly for a customer the next day... I remarked well you made a sale and profit on a otherwise unsalable item :) <p>Fast forward a few days. Back at the same closeby store. Wanting those 2 line auto switchers for a talking caller id box I have.<p>Again the manager says the other store hads 3 in stock, he is out. Ahh please anywhere else? Whats the problem, I tell him the story. He asks what she looks like. My response attractive but lazy. He mentioned her name. Yep thats her! <p>Thats my daughter :( I could of died. He thanked me for telling him as he sends tons of people there and wants them to get good service.... Said it was safe to go there that nite she she is in school. He said he would talk to her when she got home..... :( <p>Incidently that 2 line to one box usually $27 is being spiffed out at 27 cents to get it off the shelf, a great buy.<p>Know any good sources for round key lock switches all using the same key?<p>I install these in laminators I service to prevent unauthorized use.
Chris Smith

Re: Funny radio shack story & question

Post by Chris Smith »

All Electronics sell them all the time @$4 each.
Externet

Post by Externet »

Hi.
Good story.
Computer junk cases at your nearby computer service center often have the keylock electrical round key switches, usually $0... Canibalize.
Miguel
- Abolish the deciBel ! -
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

any alarm company should have these also...i get them here locally also for about $5 a pop and they all use the same key also...they have about 5 different key cuts...same sw, just different cut keys..
Gary

Post by Gary »

The old computer keylocks are all keyed alike apparently, although not everyone knows that. I have such a key on my keyring for a removable hard drive.
Gary

Post by Gary »

We have a half dozen Rad Shacks in this town. I try to use the "techie" one when I can, even though out of the way. They don't treat you like a nerd (rhymes with t***) when looking at components. Or pondering design ideas. And they don't jump you as you enter the store, but allow you to graze, offering help as needed.<p>Some of the other stores are high pressure for high dollar items, or just technically incompitant as you mention. Making yearly money at christmas season selling remote control/toys.<p>Was told at one other store, that they actually make a lot of their money on the little stuff, although they don't push it. They probably have a lot of price competition from the Best Buy's, Costco, and CompUSA, BizMax et cetera for the big stuff.