drill bits

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
i_myself_matthew

drill bits

Post by i_myself_matthew »

Hello<p>I have been told that regular drill bits dull quickly when drilling through PC boards. What kind of drill bit do I need to use, or what is another solution to this problem?<p>Thank you,
Madness has a toll. Please have exact change ready.
sundancer87

Re: drill bits

Post by sundancer87 »

Carbide, high speed drill bits are designed for drilling pc boards.<p>They are available as "resharps" from various wholesale electronics supply houses.
jollyrgr

Post by jollyrgr »

I'll throw my two cents in.<p>I have used power drills to drill circuit boards and it works okay. But the easiest method I have found are the high speed craft tools (Read DREMEL) for drilling boards. Don't mess with the battery type.
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. But billions of electrons, photons, and electromagnetic waves were terribly inconvenienced!
russlk

Post by russlk »

I sharpen my drill bits using a fine disc chucked in a Dremel Tool. At my age, I can't see the cutting edge, but it works better.
bwts

Post by bwts »

Use a lubricant a little chain oil or somit.<p>B)
"Nothing is true, all is permitted" - Hassan i Sabbah
Edd

Post by Edd »

I also use a Dremel tool with the side of a # 411 or 412 cut off wheel tool . Even with 20\20 vision and a Hi-Intensity lamp nearby, being able to visually ascertain the wheels exact angle of attact to the bits two cutting faces can still be a challenge.
I optimize accuracy by coating the bits cutting faces with a permanent black marker ( Avery’s Marks –A-Lot seems to have the darkest pigmentation agent/concentration of the current choices). This will give a high contrast reference of your initial cutters landing to the bit. If you will come in initially on the back rake of the cutting face, then a slight correction to dupe the original factory cut angle will be permissible.
The net result is a quantum leap in ease and accuracy, by being able to see exactly what and where your grind angle is.
73's de Edd
[email protected].........(Interstellar~~~~Warp~~~Speed)
[email protected]........(Firewalled-Spam*Cookies*Crumbs)
;)
sundancer87

Post by sundancer87 »

When my carbide drill bits get dull and when I drop them and break them and when I no longer have the size that I use most often, I pick up the phone and order another 25 resharpened drill bits.
For the price, who needs to mess with it unless you just want to.
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

You can buy a set of 50 resharpened carbide bits in the size ranges suitable for PCB work at Drill Bits for about $13
Edd

Post by Edd »

Hey Hacklesup:
Tnx for the cranial rebooting / reminder of Harbor Freight ….they probably have the best deal known on carbides. I had totally forgotten about their having them, as they were either non stocking or out of them the last time I passed by their local store for 100 single sided razor blades for $2.
My main reason for replacement is due to breakage/snapoff from the main 1/8” shank(even, exclusively in drill press utilization ) .I do need to restock on a couple of diff sizes.
Fiberglass PCB blanks and carbides go hand in hand…but…there is still a bit of Phenolic blanks stock out there still coming thru for the hobbyist supply and one can get along with HS bits on that stock if the carbides weren’t readily available to them. <p> I certainly think the sharpening technique I described could facilitate any one else in their sharpening ease and accuracy, also on all their 1/16-1/4 in sized HS bits. It is also helpful on viewing the reshaping of a knifes sides. Having had an uncle as a lifetime tool and die maker and a good instructor, the procedure is so common to me that I can dye and face retouch up a unit in ~10 seconds or reshape in a minute, if in that bad of condition.. <p>73's de Edd
[email protected] ........(Interstellar~~~~Warp~~~Speed)
[email protected]........(Firewalled-Spam*Cookies*Crumbs)
;)
rosborne

Post by rosborne »

I'm looking for # 104 and 105 size drill bits any leads. Google isn't helping me.
-Rick
rosborne

Post by rosborne »

Belay my last. Nevermind. I got it.
desterline

Post by desterline »

It isn't the cheapest place to get them, but you do get choice of sizes...<p>http://www.st-anna-data.se/drills.html<p>I don't work for him or anything, ut I have bought from him.<p>-Denny
helgrind

Post by helgrind »

http://www.averytools.com<p>buy real drill bits, not some cheap, re-sharpened P.O.S. When they wear out buy new ones, I know... I have built a few aluminum aircraft <p> :)