How to switch 400V from camera strobe circuit

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
bgracia

How to switch 400V from camera strobe circuit

Post by bgracia »

I would like to use the flash circuit form one of those disposable in a project. Can someone point me to a circuit or component that will allow me to swith
400V needed to flash the strobe?<p>Thanks,
Brian G.
Edd

Re: How to switch 400V from camera strobe circuit

Post by Edd »

Brian:
Methinks that Ur post was likely deficient in a couple of words...like <disposable {flash cameras} in a project>. If such is the situation all that is needed is already existant in the camera works that is there. A reflex flyback oscillator ckt produces your required high voltage from the cameras battery. The HV.....and keep Ur hands clear....is then stored up in a low leakage HV cap across the flash tube which gets ionized into conduction by a trigger coil that gets its drive from a SCR which previously had its gate activation from the cameras shutter contacts. So get wiring access to those contacts and you're in business. That voltage is at a lower sustained continuous level....but at least give it an equal degree of respect. <p>73's de Edd<p>eddw35@attbi(Interstellar ~~~~ Warp~~~~Speed)<p>[email protected](Firewalled-Spam*Cookies*Crumbs)<p> ;)
Donald S. Lambert

Post by Donald S. Lambert »

I posted back in the topic "High Intensity Light Weight Strobe Unit" two sources of information on how to hack the disposable strobe unit. Be advised that the capacitors can hold a charge for a very long time. I was holding one in my hand as I was tinkering with it and got a jolt. As far as I know that unit had not had a battery in it for at least 4 months. From those two sources you will get a notebook full of printouts complete with schematics. HTH Greybie
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

i have hacked some of the units,,but theres so many different models out there now...one i used,, i added a SCR and a NE-2 neon bulb..when the charge was high enough it triggered the neon bulb,which fired the SCR..then flashed the strobe,,,this does it continously...only bad thing is...the unit draws over 4 amps +/-
at max current draw,,,thats at the point right after the flash where the cap starts to recharge...thus batteries do not last long..thats as far as AA batts go...so i had the idea and paralleled 6 "D" batts together..gives me a good strong 1.5 volts with amps to spare,,this makes the strobe last a long time... i use mine in a re-vamped road side warning flasher...you know them yellow blinkers in construction zones... works neat as a road side warning flashe if i get broke down some where... good luck...
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

some where either here or in N&V magazine, someone from a collum said they were looking for other camera strobe ideas,,and if they had a good one to share, it whould earn them 1 free yr in N&V<p>i been searching this ad / collum,, cannot find it no where.. someone guide me ! thanx