WAVETEK SAM 1000 (Sig Analysis Meter)

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
curtisu

WAVETEK SAM 1000 (Sig Analysis Meter)

Post by curtisu »

I've found a SAM 1000 up on a shelf but can't find it's power supply. It's got a nicad pack on-board, the volts I/P is labeled "CHARGE". I can't trace the PCB and it may have a built in charger.
Does anyone know what one of these things likes on the "CHARGE" input? Volts AC/DC?
Thanks
haklesup

Re: WAVETEK SAM 1000 (Sig Analysis Meter)

Post by haklesup »

First off, NiCad batteries have a terrible shelf life. If this thing is more than a few years old, the batteries may not take a charge anyway.<p>How many batteries. Normally 1.4V per cell. Charge voltage is a volt or two above the battery voltage. Current regulation is necessary to prevent overheating during charging but a 500mA wall wort would probably work fine. Maybe you can rewire a store bought charger to work for you.<p>As for polarity (if it is not labeled)use the diode check mode on your multimeter to determine the direction of the protection diode (most PS inputs have one to protect against reverse hookup)and apply the voltage so that it is reverse biased
curtisu

Post by curtisu »

Thanks hacklesup, I'm comfortable with the battery side of things, I've got a 14.4V nicad pack and wouldn't have a problem replacing it or charging it outside the box; but, I am reluctant to stick 14.4VDC into the box when it expects to see, say, 12VAC to supply a power supply/charger circuit that is on the main PCB. I'd rather not have to disassemble the box everytime I have to recharge and was hoping to get in touch with someone that uses one. Still haven't found a SAM1000 fanclub. <p>Thanks again.
curtisu

Post by curtisu »

Thanks hacklesup, I'm comfortable with the battery side of things, I've got a 14.4V nicad pack and wouldn't have a problem replacing it or charging it outside the box; but, I am reluctant to stick 14.4VDC into the box when it expects to see, say, 12VAC to supply a power supply/charger circuit that is on the main PCB. I'd rather not have to disassemble the box everytime I have to recharge and was hoping to get in touch with someone that uses one. Still haven't found a SAM1000 fanclub. <p>Thanks again.