This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
the_engineer

Post by the_engineer »

hi<p>I've heard that there're many types of IC 4017<p>can anybody tell me the type of 4017 used in
" secret code circuits"<p>thanks in advance
haklesup

Re: 4017

Post by haklesup »

Maybe what was meant is that there are many chips which have the same or similar functionality as the 4017 decade counter.<p>While there are probably more than several manufacturers of the 4017 chip, they should all work the same. The letters surrounding the core part number may signify the manufacturer (prefix usually) or reliability grade (suffix or dash number) however, any 4017 should work. A close look at several data sheets should show they all have essentially the same DC specs and logic table.<p>Futhtermore, the functionality of the 4017 was duplicated in the 74xx series of chips (which one, I don't recall off the top of my head) and may also be duplicated in other chips with different pinout (though these would have different part numbers) or in ones having additional functions like reset and clear<p>In the 74xx series of devices, the letters in the middle matter to the extent that the input, output and switching levels (DC specs) are different from one technology to the next but the basic logical function is the same if the numbers match.
the_engineer

Post by the_engineer »

thank you for advice Mr.Haklesup
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

The functionality of a chip number remains the same, the additional numbers and letters usually denote variances in such things as [and manufacture codes] operating voltages, operating temperatures, Mil specs, as well as speed of the chips flip flops or transistor speeds.
Dean Huster

Post by Dean Huster »

I would caution that if you order the 4017 from a surplus electronics outfit, make sure that it isn't a 4017A vs. a 4017B. The "A" series of CMOS were extremely ESD sensitive even with normal precautions and would blow if you sneezed nearby. I have yet to blow any of the "B" series. When MOS transistors and stuff like this first came out, they always had the leads shorted together with wire and you weren't supposed to remove it until the part was solidly soldered into the circuit. They've gotten a lot better with parts these days, incorporating protective diodes within to help with ESD dangers.<p>Dean
Dean Huster, Electronics Curmudgeon
Contributing Editor emeritus, "Q & A", of the former "Poptronics" magazine (formerly "Popular Electronics" and "Electronics Now" magazines).

R.I.P.