Cheap type of solder mask

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
LucidGuppy

Cheap type of solder mask

Post by LucidGuppy »

Is there any type of acrylic or epoxy or some material that I could use as a cheap form of solder mask for solder paste reflow just around components? <p>It would have to survive 250 celcius and be easy to use. I was thinking nail polish - but I don't know if it would burn or not. I guess I might experiment.
Why don't you give yourself a nice big round of applause!
Dave Dixon

Re: Cheap type of solder mask

Post by Dave Dixon »

Mouser carries some for as low as $2.95.
Mouser solder mask page
No minimum order, and same day shipping.
Unless you really want to make your own......
Best regards,
Dave
LucidGuppy

Post by LucidGuppy »

Minimum buy on this is 24 bottles - but I'll try other distributors and get it from them. Exactly what I need. Thanks alot.
Why don't you give yourself a nice big round of applause!
jwax

Post by jwax »

Usually the surface tension of molten solder keeps it "globbed" on solderable parts only, unless too much paste is available. Use less.
However, peelable solder masks are available. They glob on, survive solder temps, then easily peel off with no residue.
WA2RBA
Dave Dixon

Post by Dave Dixon »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr> Minimum buy on this is 24 bottles <hr></blockquote><p>Whoops,,, I was in too big of a hurry. I went to the terms and conditions ordering info, and saw no min. I didn't look at the specific item!
Sorry 'bout that!
73's
Dave<p>[ October 22, 2004: Message edited by: Dave Dixon ]<p>[ October 22, 2004: Message edited by: Dave Dixon ]</p>