Blab Buster - Feb 2002

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
vkluge

Blab Buster - Feb 2002

Post by vkluge »

Hello. I am relatively new to electronics - I am primarily a mechanical engineer in commercial nuclear power, but I have been an avid reader of Nuts and Volts for 3 years.<p> I have been trying to locate the parts required to build the Blab Buster as presented in the Feb 2002 issue of Nuts and Volts, however, I've run into a roadblock with the input/output jacks (J1 to J4). The parts list indicates that these are "Four pin Berg connectors similar to PC motherboard speaker plugs". I have been unable to locate anything meeting this description anywhere on the Internet. Berg apparently is out of business, with it's product line being picked up by FCI. But regardless, the audio ouputs on my VCR and stereo are RCA type connectors. Why wouldn't similar connectors be used as input/output on the Blab Buster? And what would a currently available substitute be for the specified parts for J1,J2, J3 and J4?<p>Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.<p>Vince Kluge
Phoenix, Az
:confused:
Externet

Re: Blab Buster - Feb 2002

Post by Externet »

Hi Vince.
You should be able to use any other type of connectors if size is not a problem, just make them match your plugs.
Canibalizing discarded mainboards from your nearby computer repair center garbage can will supply suitable connectors if unavailable new.
Good luck,
Miguel
- Abolish the deciBel ! -
tvman

Post by tvman »

vince
i too am in the process of building the blab buster.
i have 2 posts below (tv man) with many replies that may be of interest to you. one was how to fabricate the 1uh choke.
i bought the magnet wire at the shack.

i was going to leave the connectors off and hardwire my audio in and out cables directly
to the pc board. same with the outboard power supply. this eliminates some parts.
the only other prblem is my patience factor in drawing and etching the pc board.
vkluge

Post by vkluge »

Miguel and TVMAN;<p>Thanks for the input. I was searching the net for similar circuits with parts lists so that I could see exactly what type of connectors were used for this type of hookup. I was also researching methods and resources for making the PCB for the Blab Buster. I came up with an article in EPE Magazine from Jan 1999 for a Volume Compressor which accomplishes a similar task to the Blab Buster. It appears to be a simpler design and has a more detailed components list and assembly using stripboard instead of PCB - which eliminates the expense of making a board. I also came across a Stereo Compressor in a 1996 issue of Poptronix magazine. This version used a Dynamic Range Compressor (SSM 2120) which appears to be a alternate design to the Philips SA 571 compander used in Blab Buster. The Poptronics design is available in kit form from PAiA.com in several options (PCB only; PCB plus board components; 2 options for cases. I believe I'll be buying the board and parts for my first project. I'll tackle board fab in later projects.<p>Again - thanks for the feedback and let me know how your assembly turns out TVMAN.<p>Vince Kluge
Phoenix, Az