Question about previous question

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Mike

Question about previous question

Post by Mike »

A while ago, about 4 or so months ago, I asked a question about printing my own circuit boards using a printer. I would like to ask two more questions about that:<p>1. I obtained a dot matrix printer, could I print the pattern on pasted wallpaper through that and iron it on, or does it have to be a laser printer.<p>2. If I were to use t-shirt transfer paper, could I accomplish my task with and ink-jet?<p>Any other ideas on how to avoid PCB companies, expensive products and laser printers would be great.<p>Thanks, Mike
larussell

Re: Question about previous question

Post by larussell »

Your only other option to using a laser printer is to print and then copy with a copier where they will let you put in your own paper.
bruinbear714

Post by bruinbear714 »

Yes, there's a product called Press-n-Peel that'll let you make PCBs with a laser printer. I've used it for simple projects and it works great, but with pcb tracks and spacing less than 20mils, you could have problems.
russlk

Post by russlk »

I have printed on regular paper, then had it copied onto pre-pasted wallpaper at a copy shop. Tell the shop to use max darkness. I put it in the oven, sandwiched between two pieces of glass and held with spring clamps. I use wood strips to cushion the glass. Set the temperature to 370 or 425 (experiment to see which works best) for 10 to 12 minutes. Cool the assembly on a pad (the glass will break if set on anything cool) and soak the wallpaper off in warm water.<p>99% of the layout is perfect, but there is always a spot that needs touchup. I use 20 mil lines and spaces with no problem, some times 15 mil lines if I am desperate.<p>I recently bought a HP 1000 laser printer at Staples for $150, it works great.
Mike

Post by Mike »

I tried going to Kinkos and they refused to copy from the sheet of paper to the wallpaper since they though the heat of the copy machines could cause the glue to melt and stick to the rollers, or jam the machine. About the press and peel, where do I get it, and how much is it. Since it is a professional product designed for lasers, I would be able to get it copied at Kinkos. But I still have 2 unanswered questions, can I use a dot matrix with wallpaper or t-shirt transfer, or an inkjet with t-shirt transfer paper?
Mike

Post by Mike »

One more thing, if the only option is laser, I cannot afford a laser printer, and was wondering if anybody would be willing to print a graphics file of the pcb onto wallpaper. I could send the image in almost any format. I would pay for the materials, shipping, and labor. I would just need a piece of wallpaper with the design, I will etch the board. If anybody could do this, thank you, and just let me know how much I would owe. <p>To transfer the image from the wallpaper to the board, would it be easier to use a heat press, as I have access to one?<p>Thank you again, Mike
russlk

Post by russlk »

The ink jet will not work for the transfer method because the ink does not melt. Find another copy shop where the owner does the copies and tell him/her that it has been done before. The guys at Kinkos are not going to jepodise their job on an unknown process. A heat press is ideal if you can use it.