Telephone Ring Indicator

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
joshua2003

Telephone Ring Indicator

Post by joshua2003 »

Hey All,<p>I'm patching in several incoming telephone lines for an apartment building into their intercom system. My problem is that the local provider (Ameritech of course) has not tagged any of the incoming lines with their respective numbers. Anybody know of a siple circuit that can be connected to ring/tip on the CO block that would light an LED when a ring signal is detected? I usually have to hunt through 340+ lines one by one, calling my cell phone to make sure I have the right number. Please help! Thanks in advance!
The only think I know is that I don't know.
frhrwa
Location: Eastern Washington (state) and N. Las Vegas (winter)

Re: Telephone Ring Indicator

Post by frhrwa »

why not use neons..? if your just looking for ringing present, just use a small message waiting neon like they used to use on the hotel phones.. I believe they were just 110vac units, I have a box of them at home..
JESUS”…… don’t leave EARTH without HIM!
dave8976

Post by dave8976 »

Here is a useful site http://www.ee.washington.edu/circuit_ar ... HEMTEL_002 that shows a simple LED indicator circuit for a ringing line. There are several circuits on this page. Another idea, that I have not tried. Since hte ringing signal is approx 84v 20 hz, you may try using an inexpensive AC probe to determine which line is ring before actually connecting to the tip and ring.
Dave
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

How about a phone ringer, Radio shack sell them. Put a pair of probes on the line in?
i_myself_matthew

Post by i_myself_matthew »

Would the process work backwards? Could you hook up a phone to the terminal, and call a number with Caller ID and read the result?<p>Just a thought.
Madness has a toll. Please have exact change ready.
frhrwa
Location: Eastern Washington (state) and N. Las Vegas (winter)

Post by frhrwa »

telephone companies send "ring" voltage downt the ring lead... normally the redlead either in the phone or in the jack. If your looking at you cat5 cable, then its the blue/white wire, white blue is the "Tip" lead... and no it doesn't work in reverse...
JESUS”…… don’t leave EARTH without HIM!