Is this display PIC compatable?

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Mike6158

Re: Is this display PIC compatable?

Post by Mike6158 » Fri Dec 03, 2004 6:30 pm

Yep.. That's the one. It's a fairly popular scanner because it can be modded to receive... things it shouldn't :) <p>If it has wires... then they are mighty small...<p>Looking at the LCD more closely it appears that it's made for the scanner. It has specific text that can be seen if you hold it to the light just right. It is definitely controlled by a microprocessor. SOIC. 84 pin. GRE-0620A-1. I haven't found any info for this number. IC2, Sanyo LC3517BML, is connected to IC1 at pins 22 thru about 30 on IC1 and 1-12 on IC2 which of course means nothing :D <p>Here's a pic of the section of the board that the LCD mounts to and the LCD<p>Image<p>[ December 03, 2004: Message edited by: NE5U ]</p>
"If the nucleus of a sodium atom were the size of a golf ball, the outermost electrons would lie 2 miles away. Atoms, like galaxies, are cathedrals of cavernous space. Matter is energy."

Mike

Post by Mike » Sun Dec 05, 2004 4:32 am

I found this page about connecting an HD44780 based LCD to a PIC16F84 microcontroller:<p>www.ke4nyv.com/picprojects.htm<p>The one I ordered has the exact pinout, except for an anode and cathode connection for the LED backlight. So, would I just connect it exactly as shown here, plus the anode of the led to an i/o pin to control whether the backlight is on or off?<p>Also, there are two sides of connections in the LCD I ordered. Do I have to connect both? or just one side?<p>Just wondering, how does picbasic know the size of the screen when using the LCDOUT command? This is only a 16x1 yet most used are 16x2. Would I be ok with this?<p>Thanks again,
Mike

Mike6158

Post by Mike6158 » Sun Dec 05, 2004 4:58 am

Cool site.<p>Here's a snippit of ASM code that used to initialize the LCD:
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>
LCDINIT
; Busy-flag is not yet valid
CLRF LCD_CTRL; ALL PORT output should output Low.
; power-up delay
MOVLW 0x01E
CALL X_DELAY500 ; 30 * 0.5mS = 15mS
; Busy Flag should be valid from here
MOVLW 0x038 ; 8-bit-interface, 2-lines
CALL LCDPUTCMD <hr></blockquote><p>Do you have the manual for the PICBasic Pro compiler? In not, I think that you can download it for free. Look at page 73 (LCDOUT Command). There is a list of Defines that you put at the top of your program to initialize the LCD. The define that you are interested in is:
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>
DEFINE LCD_LINES 2 'Set number of lines on LCD
<hr></blockquote>
"If the nucleus of a sodium atom were the size of a golf ball, the outermost electrons would lie 2 miles away. Atoms, like galaxies, are cathedrals of cavernous space. Matter is energy."

Mike

Post by Mike » Mon Dec 06, 2004 4:30 pm

Thanks.<p>No, I can't find the manual. But I read the part about the LCDOUT command on the online manual.<p>Could you tell me if I need to use both sets of pins on the LCD, or just one?<p>thanks again!

hp

Post by hp » Mon Dec 06, 2004 5:31 pm

You should only need one of the connectors on the LCD. You probably won't use all the pins on the connector because most compilers use hd44780 based lcds in 4-bit mode.<p>Harrison