Adding component out to DV Camera

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
bazaillion

Adding component out to DV Camera

Post by bazaillion »

How tough would it be to mod a DV camera to provide component out, to avoid 4:2:2 compression artifacts of DV25 and 5:1 compression. <p>This way you could get high quality bluescreens if feeding component video straight to digital disk recorder.<p>Would it be as easy as getting the signal coming out of each of the 3 CCD's or is their a readily avaible video processing chip I could feed it to.<p>Thanks,
M. Bazaillion
Chris Smith

Re: Adding component out to DV Camera

Post by Chris Smith »

If your heavy into digital signal processing, it would still complex. If you don't deal with this digital aspect on a regular basis, it would be really a huge project. Your talking about by passing signals around the compression chip, which isn't too hard, but then you also have to recombine them back into a "recognized" stream of numbers that will operate on the standard digital format. You would need to know the format throughly, find the proper signal processors, and then build the timing circuits and interface. It can be done, but simple? [If I read your post correctly?]
bazaillion

Post by bazaillion »

Actually I just wanted to bypass the digital processing unit and create standard BNC component out jacks like on the higher end betacam/d-9 cams that are well over $10K.<p>I would let the Digital Disk Recorder (video toaster or any NLE that does uncompressed 4:4:4) capture it. <p>You could probably create a component out from the already existing svhs or composite jacks, but it already lost compression at that point, so it deafeats the purpose.
bazaillion

Post by bazaillion »

These all accept component in.
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

If Im reading you right, the answer is no. I have a beta that I stripped down to find a signal to do what I think your saying. There is no composite signal to begin with so you would need a standard Digital to Composite convertor like they use in modern cam corders to run the screen and composite out signal. Its kind of like one of the modulators that you use on old game systems but this one take a digital signal instead of the 6 MHz signal and both convert to a one volt p/p signal out to a TV channel 3/4 or even the lower 6 MHz for the digital modulator. Also if you want to go straight into your digital recorder, it probable only has one input, not three? If so, you need to re-combine those three outs from the camera into a single digital signal including timming and sequencing?<p>[ February 01, 2002: Message edited by: Chris Smith ]</p>