Test Equipment Schematic needed

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
K8YS

Test Equipment Schematic needed

Post by K8YS »

MANY MANY years ago (25+!), I found a schematic for building an octopus... OK, so what is it? The octopus is a device that connects to an oscilloscope V and H inputs and displays a pattern on the scope. The pattern shows if the device under test is capacitive, inductive, resistive or is a PN junction. It works much like a Huntoon Tracker or the component checker on some of the cheaper scopes out there.
My scope does not have this feature and I would like to build one. I remember that the heart of the circuit was a 6.3v center tapped transformer but that was all.
I think that it got the name OCTOPUS from the military.
Anyone have a schematic? Perhaps it was in Radio Electronics in about 1972.
Thanks,
Bob
mailto:[email protected]
Edd

Re: Test Equipment Schematic needed

Post by Edd »

Bob:
Seems like it was 30 yrs ago that I breadboarded
up an " octopus " to evaluate the ckt.Later when I was with NASA I came upon the good fortune to
get a Huntoon Tracker for a paltry $ 25 from the
surplus property department.....so I repaired same and have been using it since. It makes for a speedy initial semiconductor evaluation, then I can fine tune my evaluations with more sop-histicated equip.You,being a fellow ham, will find a post with supplemental info at:
www.btinternet.com/~g4wif/q_tech3.htm <p>Tnx and 73's de Edd Whatley
K8YS

Post by K8YS »

TNX EDD!
That is exactly what I was looking for!
73 OM
Bob
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by K8YS:
MANY MANY years ago (25+!), I found a schematic for building an octopus... OK, so what is it? The octopus is a device that connects to an oscilloscope V and H inputs and displays a pattern on the scope. The pattern shows if the device under test is capacitive, inductive, resistive or is a PN junction. It works much like a Huntoon Tracker or the component checker on some of the cheaper scopes out there.
My scope does not have this feature and I would like to build one. I remember that the heart of the circuit was a 6.3v center tapped transformer but that was all.
I think that it got the name OCTOPUS from the military.
Anyone have a schematic? Perhaps it was in Radio Electronics in about 1972.
Thanks,
Bob
mailto:[email protected]
<hr></blockquote>