led that does not appear to need a current limiting resi

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Jason7230

led that does not appear to need a current limiting resi

Post by Jason7230 »

I have a LED that does not need a current limiting resistor, whats going on, is this new LED technology or am I missing something.
desterline

Re: led that does not appear to need a current limiting resi

Post by desterline »

I haven't a clue as to what you have, but I have some that have an internal curent limmiting resistor and are designed to operate at 5V. I also remember seeing some rated at 12 volts in some catalog. (Digikey or Mouser I think)<p>Also I have, in the past, connected LEDs directly to a power source such as a 9V batt or a pair of penlights. The LED does not imediatly burn out. I am sure that it will shorten their life greatly.<p>
Hope this helps
Denny
josmith

Post by josmith »

try curving the voltage and current. Let us know the results.
chessman

Post by chessman »

BTW...I've seen 9V batteries die much faster than the LEDs do when coupled directly....<p>Anyway, there are tons of LEDs out there with built-in resistors. I used to know the name of one specific manufacturer that comes to mind...but I forget :(
jollyrgr

Post by jollyrgr »

As others have said, built-in current limit resistor. But this is a special LED similar to the flashing LEDs and is not as widely used as standard LEDs.
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. But billions of electrons, photons, and electromagnetic waves were terribly inconvenienced!