F-connector repair

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
geewiz

F-connector repair

Post by geewiz »

Hey all. I was given an old analog cable box with a problem. The cable-in input (F) looks like someone put a screwdriver into it; the dialetric?? (the white stuff that surrounds the conduit for the cable's conductor) is mostly cored out leaving a large gap. When connecting signal feed, I have to jiggle, twist, etc. the cable in order to receive intereference-free picture. <p>I open unit and pried open both sides of the tuner module (real messy job). With one probe of my VOM inserted into connector and the other lead on circuit board I have continuity; also have continuity from cable in to the rear side of board. Wo what failed, and how to I fix it, short of replacing the entire tuner module? Can the f-connector itself be repaired in-situ? If so, how. TIA
Edd

Re: F-connector repair

Post by Edd »

Geewiz:
Your “monniker” is almost a variance of what you must have thought upon seeing your problem…viz….Gee Whiz !<p>Since you can get to the end termination of the F connector I might offer two viable solutions.
The connector is available in a chassis mount configuration that has a solder tab as its terminus…such as you are probably seeing. Herein, the difference being was that unit was probably a press in fit with no hex flange such as your replacement has. If you will liberally rosin flux that fittings internal hex flange and its mating surface on the tuner you should be able to then solder reflow the mating surfaces and accomplish your electrical/mechanical repair. Then complete your signal tab connection. When I do this, it requires one hefty iron to make up for the heat carry off from your two metal surfaces..plus it requires surgical speed to preclude the meltdown/distortion of your polyethylene pellet inside holding your center contact pincers assemply .Immediate application of a wet cloth or freeze spray is a real insurance policy.
Modus Operandi….Duex,… if you are of the faint of heart,… Get the adapter that converts a F59 cable to a push on fitting. Specifically one end is a male F-59 and its other end is a push on F-59 fitting. Spiral on a bit of bare wire to the female center pin of adequate length to reach your terminus and solder it to the pin. Get access thru your old fitting thru its poly pellet and gut the remnants of the old contact assembly and feed your new connector wire thru it as you press the new fittings ground shell around the old fitting. Place your new wire to its terminus and solder . Place 2-4 slight tads of Epoxy towards the chassis end of the new fitting to preclude its being pulled free/rotating. Nix on Superglue as cap action will permeate the whole fittings threadings, precluding an easy removal if ever needed.<p>BTW, your fittings...either one... are readily available from Radius Shackamus.
……….and that’s the rest of the story.<p>
73's de Edd
[email protected].........(Interstellar~~~~Warp~~~Speed)
[email protected]........(Firewalled-Spam*Cookies*Crumbs)
However, in lieu of typical 90% system down time ever since the
buyout and conversion over by Comcast..more apropos would be:
[ UNSTELLAR !~~WARPED !~~SPEEDLESS ! ]
:confused: .......... :confused: .......... :confused:<p>[ July 08, 2003: Message edited by: Edd Whatley ]</p>
geewiz

Re: F-connector repair

Post by geewiz »

Edd, if I were to use an apropos moniker, it would have been Ah @#$% :) <p>I may brave fix one this weekend; or maybe fix two (after a visit to ratshack). OIf you saw what I did to get into turner module, you'll understand I trepidation :) <p>Thank for the response; you post is now in my database of notes that I save for future reference. Ol' noggin' ain't what it used to be. BTW, regard radion, check out my post on subject.