Hooking up two phones

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
JdOwNj

Hooking up two phones

Post by JdOwNj »

I remember a discussion of this on the old board, but I dont remember...
Chris Smith

Re: Hooking up two phones

Post by Chris Smith »

Elaborate?
JdOwNj

Post by JdOwNj »

Sorry, I meant hooking up two phones withoput a connection to the telco... just as kind of an intercom
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

A battery is all you need. Make the phone [s] in a loop. If you need a ringer thats Extra. I can scan a diagram out of a Telephone book that shows the representation for the full complete phone system. If your going miles and miles, 48 volts is needed. If it a couple hundred yards, 12 and less is needed.
JdOwNj

Post by JdOwNj »

I would prefer a ringer... it will only be about a quater of a mile.
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

I'll dig out the book and scan a few pages.
frhrwa
Location: Eastern Washington (state) and N. Las Vegas (winter)

Post by frhrwa »

here's where a good friend working for the phone company would come in handy... all you need is an old 1A2 Key System power supply... it has talk battery and signal battery on it.. then a simple 10vac buzzer will suffice for signalling. almost all of the old auto repair stations used the 1A2 (and most everyone else in business for that matter).. but the service station would probably pay you to get it out of their ceiling.. these units were the big bulky grey cabinets with 25pairs of wires going to each phone.. they have been outdated and most discarded, but there are still quite a few hanging in these old garages.. just grab one and get the power supply out of it.. you may even luck out and get one that has intercom built in... then ask for the hookup diagram for the intercom circuit.. there very clear and carry quite a distance..
JESUS”…… don’t leave EARTH without HIM!
frhrwa
Location: Eastern Washington (state) and N. Las Vegas (winter)

Post by frhrwa »

come to think of it.. after I posted that last reply I remembered the little blue box intercom's that we used to put in.. they replaced the old relay type and furnished a tone dial-up signalling.. seems they were made by melco, sanbar, ITT, etc.. if you happen into an old store, garage, or whatever that still has their old phone system hanging somewhere (not in use).. look to see if there is a blue box right near it about 4"X6"X1", these are easy to hook-up, most have the hook-up instructions right on them, and only require that PS that's in the big grey box..
JESUS”…… don’t leave EARTH without HIM!