low frequency tone generator

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Tommy volts

low frequency tone generator

Post by Tommy volts »

The audio frequency of low A on a piano is 27.5 Hz.<p>When I use my function generator to send a 27.5 Hz audio signal to a speaker, the speaker just clicks in and out at that frequency. It isn't until I increase to a higher frequency that the speaker starts to produce a "tone".<p>Two Questions:<p>1. What does a low frequency audio tone generator (like a synthisizer) do that my sine wave generator doesn't?<p>2. Is there a kit available for a low frequency audio tone generator?. I would like to generate the lower tones of a piano/organ (25 Hz or so).

I would appreciate any replies, this has puzzled me for a while now.<p>Thank you
hlreed

Re: low frequency tone generator

Post by hlreed »

On a piano you are hearing overtones of 27.5
To produce 27.5 Hertz with a speaker, you need a large speaker enclosure and a large room.
Harold L. Reed
Microbes got brains
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

You don’t have enough power to drive the speaker, at that low frequency. At higher frequencies less power is required, [impedance] and so what you need is a audio power amp. They come in chip form from a few watts to dozens of watts and the external circuits are minimum. The tone generator out put goes into the input of the amp, [and may need to be balanced?] the amp drives the proper impedance to the speaker. <p>A LM 386 or TDA 2002 should do?
Dean Huster

Post by Dean Huster »

If all your speaker is doing is clicking "in and out" at that low of a frequency, I'd bet a dollar to a donut that you're feeding it a square wave rather than a sine wave. All it'll do is "tick".<p>Dean
Dean Huster, Electronics Curmudgeon
Contributing Editor emeritus, "Q & A", of the former "Poptronics" magazine (formerly "Popular Electronics" and "Electronics Now" magazines).

R.I.P.
russlk

Post by russlk »

The audio amp you are using probably does not have a response that extends below 60 Hz due to coupling capacitors and an intentional design to reduce hum.
analogee

Post by analogee »

And let's not forget that your ear is MUCH less sensitive to 27 Hz than midband (500 Hz - 5 kHz or so) frequencies. Something like 60 dB less sensitive. So, for you to hear a 27 Hz tone, it will have to be a LOT louder than a 1 kHz tone.<p>Do a search on "Fletcher-Munson curves" if interested in learning more on this. For example:<p>Link to Fletcher-Munson Equal Loudness Contours explanation<p>Regards,
Todd
Wir m�ssen wissen.
Wir werden wissen.
Joseph

Post by Joseph »

Also, your speaker probably has poor response that low. Therefore, it may only respond to the higher harmonics of a square wave input.