Can you help me find one?

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Stan

Can you help me find one?

Post by Stan »

I have a service monitor, SSI-3000B. The company has quit supporting it. One day the power transformer let some smoke get out. It apparently needed that but I couldn't put it back in. Can anyone help me find a replacement?
If it helps: the part # was 1510-3001, the Wavetek # was 1219 000402. The company is Spectrum Specialties Inc, Santa Clara CA, phone 408-737-7374.
It supplies 1200v for the CRT, 6.3v for the CRT filament (floating on the -1200v), and AC for the +/-15v and +5v supplies. (I have the manual.)
I have some old power transformers and could put together an external supply using 3 or 4 of them with a doubler or tripler to get the HV, but that is a lot of work. If anyone can help me find an original I'd sure appreciate it.
russlk

Re: Can you help me find one?

Post by russlk »

I hope you are going to fix the problem that smoked the transformer first.
Stan

Post by Stan »

Thank you for your concern. I am hopeful the xformer smoked itself, but the usual causes after that would be, in order: shorted HV rectifier, shorted HV capacitor, shorted LV rectifier, shorted LV capacitor. I seriously hope it isn't deeper than that, but unless it is in a HF module I could probably fix it. I don't see any other signs of overheating, and the odor is concentrated in the xformer.
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Use a variac, AC ammeter, and a fuse in line to stop a repeat of toasting anything.
rckbrwn

Post by rckbrwn »

Finding that exact xfmr will be nearly impossible at an affordable price. A power transformer from an old hobby type oscope would probably take care of the crt. Consider rewinding the old xfmr. Carefully disassemble and count the turns from each winding. Duplicate the 3 low voltage windings for +/- 15 & + 5 volts. Instead of rewinding the hv winding, mount the the hobby scope xfmr on the back panel. Companies that deal in or fix/calibrate used comm gear may have a not worth fixing 3000b that was taken in on trade.<p>Rick Brown
Stan

Post by Stan »

I will try that idea about co's that take trade-ins. Any specific suggestions?
I tried doing a rewind (on another problem) years ago, but the primary alone discouraged me. Several hundred turns of very fine wire patiently by hand... now that I think about it, I think I succeeded that one time, but I said never again. I wonder what happened to that transformer? that must've been over 30 years ago...
I can sub the LV portions fairly well from my junk-box collection. And I have xformers from old tube eqt with 600v windings (maybe more). Was just hoping to avoid an external solution. The weight adds up.
Thanks for your interest.