U2510B?

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
galois

U2510B?

Post by galois »

I became the victim of bad circuit design, I cooked this IC (U2510B) about 2 years ago. It is the receiver and audio amp for a Baygen Free play radio. You would think that for a $150 radio (maybe $20 at a junk sale) they could put a fuse in the power supply.
Anyone have experience with this chip or possible substitution? I have contacted suppliers and minimum orders are 5,000+ units and no luck with free samples.
Edd

Re: U2510B?

Post by Edd »

Well looks like everyone overlooked your IC inquiry. On a cursory examination of the U2510B… to me, that had the ring of a schematic/parts list component designator on a complex, high device count system….excepting the B suffix. I looked it up and it seems that Euro Atmel chip seems to have a lot going for it. There are a few BA series chips out there that are quite dogs for that multifunction task. The best one that I had run across in design and seeing it used was the Sony CXA1191M.
How did you happen to mess up the unit…..hitting it with far above its aux power input voltage ?
The two series that it is offered as, run at 3VDC and 6VDC with a safety threshold a bit higher on the higher voltage unit.
You might troubleshoot the chip proper at pin 26 and see what voltage is being supplied to that point, using pin 28 as ur gnd ref. If it was hit hard you might expect a ball bond link to have opened up inside the chip or if not quite so excessive, it might have crowbarred. An instaneous test with a series inline ma meter on the pin 26 supply should reveal that.
There’s also the possibly the only trouble might the loss of the power supply’s output.<p>Here are some relevant reference sites for U:
http://www.y2knorth.com/baygenstory.html
About the unit
http://www.y2knorth.com/baygen_amfmsw.html
This one specifies the specs of a 9VDC wall wart as the aux PS for that particular unit.<p>And here’s the da da sheet for your chip…..for troubleshooting::
http://www.atmel-grenoble.com/dyn/resou ... 79024e.pdf <p>And lastly, here’s where you can E-mail and get your chip ordered for ~$3.30 US+ cartage.
http://www.donberg.ie/descript/u/u2510b.htm <p>
73's de Edd
[email protected].........(Interstellar~~~~Warp~~~Speed)
[email protected]........(Firewalled-Spam*Cookies*Crumbs)<p> ;)
galois

Post by galois »

I have already used the data sheet from Amtel's site to troubleshoot the chip (ab initio) and found no response to v/ma measurements. As for "how?" I was using the power supply that came with the radio and suppose it tasted a power surge. When I did open the unit I shocked to find no fuse to protect the amp/tuner! $150 was enough to pay in the beginning, but you would think they could have put a .50 cents fuse in the power supply.
By the way, the "cryptic name" as you put it comes from Robert Duvall's character in the 1971 movie THX1138.
Edd

Post by Edd »

THX1138:
<<I have already used the data sheet from Amtel's site to troubleshoot the chip (ab initio) and found no response to v/ma measurements.>>
How about the power supply voltage when you floated pin #26..seems logical to previously be getting <1Vdc reading even in a unit with damaged semi-con junctions?
Well if you opt to get a replacement chip for the mere pittance referenced to , I might suggest the following protective measures to PS circuitry that I would incorporate if it were my problem. It typically would be associated with the utilization of the wall wart aux power supply. Considering that the chip was the problem and that operation was restored by its replacement. Initially, a monitoring of the system B+ at chip pin 26 both at vol down and then at max volume to check the PS regulative qualities as well as running a current check via a series inline milliameter hookup. With a particular note of current drain at max volume output level. I suspect this unit to be utilizing the higher voltage rated / (6 VDC nominal) operational chip that is offered. Then take the previously acquired V/Ma info to compute the proper value of ½ W carbon film “fuse resistor “ to place in series the B+ power supply feed line to the chips B+ circuitry, with a “sacrificial” 13VDC ½ Watt zener diode at the chip power input end. A quick duration overload will have the zener crank down in its normal fashion whereas on some thing big there is the shorting down of the zener and/or the popping of the film resistor…according to severity. The 13VDC was the high end on the voltage spec on the U2510B. I certainly prefer the hard threshold imparted by the utilization of a zener in this application as compared to the soft “cushy” response experienced by MOV’s when used at low voltages. A fast acting fuse with its dismally slow response in like application is not even in the running. No qualms however, against the utilization of a supplemental 130v MOV unit with its appropriate series fuse across the 120VAC line side.<p>73's de Edd
[email protected].........(Interstellar~~~~Warp~~~Speed)
[email protected]........(Firewalled-Spam*Cookies*Crumbs)
Comcast……….I think………IT’S BAAAAAAACCCCK
;)