digital ohm meter schematic

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
MadMax

digital ohm meter schematic

Post by MadMax »

I am looking for a digital ohm meter schematic that will allow me to measure 10k to 100k in 1k incraments on a 2 or 3 digit LED display.
Dean Huster

Re: digital ohm meter schematic

Post by Dean Huster »

I'm not sure I understand why a traditional DMM won't work here. But for a stand-alone, dedicated meter that will do just that (and probably cost more than a cheap DMM), a 10µa constant current source in series with the unknown resistance and a 1.999v digital panel meter across the unknown resistance will do the trick, each thousand ohms giving you a 10mv drop. Just move the decimal point of the display so it's in front of the LSD and the reading will be in K ohms.
Dean Huster, Electronics Curmudgeon
Contributing Editor emeritus, "Q & A", of the former "Poptronics" magazine (formerly "Popular Electronics" and "Electronics Now" magazines).

R.I.P.
rckbrwn

Post by rckbrwn »

Harbor Freight has 3 1/2 digit multimeters for about $5.<p>Rick
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

Several years ago, I had a simple cable mapper that used rj11 plugs with resistors in them, to identify or map wire runs. the plugs were spaced in 100 ohm incraments, that were numbered 1 to 99. A small device with a 2 digit display was used at the other end to identify the cable by reading the resistance, and displaying the appropriate number corresponding to the plug on the other end. The principal involved was to display a value which was the resistance of the plug rounded to the nearest 100 ohms. Simply a multimeter in a fixed x100 range with a 2 digit display. I would like to find a circuit that I could build to replace this device.