Control panel lighting

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
owilson

Control panel lighting

Post by owilson »

Hello,
I am designing a new control panel for my model train layout. I want to make the control panel be a diagram of the track layout with the sections illuminated with different colors depending on which power pack (cab) is powering that section. For instance, say I have 12 blocks and 2 cabs. If block 10 is being powered by cab 1 then that section on the diagram is red and if section 8 is being powered by cab 2 then it is green. My idea thus far is to mask the track layout on a piece of clear acrylic, paint it black, remove the masking, and mount a circuit board behind each section with 2 different color LED's to provide illumination for that section. My question is how can I diffuse the light from a single or perhaps 2 LED’s so that the light appears uniform throughout that section? TIA<p>Olan Wilson
Chris Smith

Re: Control panel lighting

Post by Chris Smith »

There is a acrylic plastic called "light pipe" than takes light in sideways and lights up the whole surface into that light source or color. "TAP Plastics" [on the web now] of California has some in the web catalog, but I havent had time to investigate the whole thing?
owilson

Re: Control panel lighting

Post by owilson »

That sounds like exactly what I need, but I can't find it on their website. A search for "light pipe" returns no results, but they do list an 800 number. I will be calling them! Thanks for your help.<p>-Olan