keyboard

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Newz2000

keyboard

Post by Newz2000 »

http://www.artlebedev.com/portfolio/optimus/<p>Is this real, or just a mock-up done in photoshop? Is this possible?
rstofer

Re: keyboard

Post by rstofer »

It is certainly possible. I have seen those graphic buttons advertised for industrial controls.<p>However, I'll bet this is one expensive piece of equipment! Maybe in the several thousand dollar bracket.<p>No results searching for Optimus PC Keyboard on google.
philba

Post by philba »

I think its a concept, not a reality. The outfit that did it is an industrial design/web site house. <p>It is a very cool idea but, as rick said, not likely to be cheap...
Michael Kaudze
Site Admin

Post by Michael Kaudze »

Patent is pending currently. Should be available by Xmas. If you want something nifty now then I recommend getting: Saitek Eclipse Very smooth quiet keyboard with illuminated numbers and letters. Very slick.<p>Pic #2 Close up<p>[ July 15, 2005: Message edited by: Myk(Web-Guy) ]</p>
Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change. Stephen William Hawking.
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

would be awsome if each button was like a miniature LCD screen and it would update to what ever program / language you was using..
rstofer

Post by rstofer »

See the first post - the button image can be changed.
philba

Post by philba »

the saitek isn't the same, maybe nice but not even close.
Gorgon

Post by Gorgon »

Hi Matt,
I did some Googling on this and found that the keyboard is based on the new and 'coming' OLED technology. I don't think it is real yet, but a concept. Look her if you want to refresh the last hype on OLED.
http://www.oled-info.com/ <p>TOK ;)
Gorgon the Caretaker - Character in a childrens TV-show from 1968. ;)
Michael Kaudze
Site Admin

Post by Michael Kaudze »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>philba: the saitek isn't the same, maybe nice but not even close. <hr></blockquote><p>Never said it was the same... I said it was a nice keyboard, its quiet and very slick. And its available now at a reasonable price...<p> :)<p>[ July 18, 2005: Message edited by: Myk(Web-Guy) ]</p>
Michael Kaudze
Site Admin

Post by Michael Kaudze »

Interview with Creator of Optimus Keyboard<p>Production will start in a year or so. $200-$300 price range. This is real!<p>[ July 26, 2005: Message edited by: Michael - NV HQ ]</p>
Newz2000

Post by Newz2000 »

Wow. Maybe after a generation it will be cheaper.<p>BTW, I saw that keyboard you [Michael] mentioned at Best Buy. It is sharp, although I feel that ~$60 is still a little too much to pay. (I guess that means I won't be getting an Optimus for a while)
philba

Post by philba »

If the price can get to the 40-60 range, it could be a huge hit. Since the same keyboard would ship everywhere, the price curve should drop more quickly. Imagine every application being able to program very specific symbols into the keyboard.
Michael Kaudze
Site Admin

Post by Michael Kaudze »

Matt,<p>I was able to obtain mine through New Egg - for around $45.00. Trust me - if you were to buy it you wouldnt regret it. Its very smooth, quiet and the lights looks very slick at night. I do a lot of gaming so its nice to be able to play in the dark. check out new egg, they have lots of good deals. Also if you check out Price Watch you should be able to find the cheapest around.<p>I will get the Optimus when its available. Thats just too AMAZING to pass up. I cant wait.<p>[ July 26, 2005: Message edited by: Michael - NV HQ ]</p>