Serial Programmer or Kit 81 Software

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Newz2000

Serial Programmer or Kit 81 Software

Post by Newz2000 »

I've got a "kit 81 v4.2" parallel programmer that programs the 16f84a chips. I *think* I've programmed a 16f628 with it, but I haven't been able to duplicate the event.<p>I'd like to either get software for my k81 that allows programming additional chips, or build a simple *serial* port programmer.<p>I've tried the jdm and I'm not having luck. It seems to me that a good portion of the circuit is there to boost the voltage from the serial port to high enough levels for programming. Personally, I'd like to see a version of this programmer with most of that stripped out and using a separate power supply.<p>I've exhausted my hobby budget for a while, so I have to either build something with what I have or make do without. Any advise is greatly appreciated.
Newz2000

Re: Serial Programmer or Kit 81 Software

Post by Newz2000 »

For the archives, the kit 81 (aka kit81, k81) is a "P16pro" and is supported by the freeware version of PicAll aka PicAllW. Aparently my computer is too fast, so I had to go to "Settings" -> "Hardware Setup/Test" -> Click the KIT81 button, then uncheck "AutoAdjust" and then double the value listed in the "Prog Delay" field. After clicking OK the programmer worked fine.<p>This makes a number of newer chips available to the programmer, including the 16f628a and 16f648a. The list of supported chips is quite long, but the 16f88 is not among them. In the days ahead I'll see how hard it is to add the 16f88 and if I'm successful, post the details here.<p>For the record, I have not yet tested this extensively, I've only done a quick program and verify on a 16f84a and everything went OK.<p>**UPDATE**
PicAll seems to have problems. Based on the settings from that program, I was successful at uploading a program using the Win Pic software. Here is the INI file for the kit 81 programmer:
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">code:</font><hr><pre>[Info]
Purpose=KIT 81 programmer based on P16PRO<p>[ProgrammerControlLines]
DataIn=ack
OkButton=nc
VppOnOff=!D2
VddOnOff=!D3
Connect=D7
ClockOut=D1
DataOut=D0
DataOutWhileReading=1
PullMclrDown=nc
ClkEnable=nc
OutEnable=L
RedLed=nc
GreenLed=nc
</pre><hr></blockquote><p>Save the above code as a text file named Kit81.INI in the same folder as WinPic.exe.<p>I have successfully programmed a 16f628a and a 16f84a. Unlike PicAll.exe, this program seems to be well supported. I'm using Windows XP, SP2.<p>[ July 12, 2005: Message edited by: Matt Nuzum ]</p>